Tanks Archives - Page 2 of 42 - Reefs.com

Category Archives: Tanks

Latest Posts

Fluval Marine & Reef LED 2.0 Review

fluval sea 2.0 Three years ago, I reviewed the Sea LED Light, Fluval’s first attempt to enter the reef-capable LED lights scene. At the time, it wasn’t a revolutionary light, nor was it a high end fixture. However, it had an attractive retail price, a large coverage area, a wide availability through chain pet stores, and it grew less-light-demanding corals just fine. The light became popular, and proved that low-power SMD (surface mounted diodes), when packed together tightly, can support growth of photosynthetic animals in a saltwater setup. The blog donated the light in 2012 to a struggling reefer who had lost his tank during Hurricane Sandy, and he still enjoys it to this day, growing zoanthids and leather corals in a 20g aquarium. A year ago, Fluval announced the second generation of its reef-oriented LED panels, consisting of the Fluval Halo Nano, the Fluval Sirius Reef (which never made it to the shelves), and the subject of my review today, a new version of the Sea LED, called the Marine & Reef Full Spectrum Performance LED 2.0.… More:

Aquarium Nutrition: Part 3

Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins
Amino acids are the building blocks of all proteins. There are roughly 20 different amino acids, with half being essential and the other half non-essential.  Non-essential amino acids can be produced by animal cells when the building blocks are available, while essential amino acids are not produced by animal cells and must be acquired from the environment. The ultimate source of essential amino acids is marine algae and those who consume it up the food chain, which is why gut-loading is so important. Peptides are amino acid chains with 2-50 amino acids, and proteins are groups of amino acids and peptides that are metabolically active, and can be various sizes, from small to very large. During digestion, some proteins are ingested whole, others broken down into peptides and absorbed, and a small amount is broken down into simple amino acids for absorption. Much of the immune response is mediated by ingesting whole molecules that can be recognized as antigens.… More:

Virginia Aquarium Welcomes Rare Crocodiles

crocThe Virginia Aquarium has just welcomed some very rare crocodiles to the aquarium. The crocodiles, known as “Tomistoma,” were just acquired on Saturday, through the first permitted import of their native country of Malaysia since 1974. “These are incredibly rare animals, and for us to be able to safely import two of them thanks to a partnership with a Malaysian crocodile farm is an honor,” said Director of Live Exhibits, Rachel Metz. “There are only 28 Tomistoma in North America, and that number continues to decline. For the crocodile community to recognize our experience and expertise in Tomistoma research and conservation in this manner is really wonderful,” Metz said. The pair of crocodiles are from a breeding farm in Malaysia, and are one of just six breeding pairs of crocodiles in all of North America. The female is 8 feet long and a 112 pounds and the male is 7 feet long and 65 pounds. The aquarium named the pair after Ralf Sommerlad, a German ‘crocodilian specialist’ that devoted his life to protecting and studying crocodiles. Fittingly, they are called ‘Ralf’ and ‘Sommer’.… More:

Aquarium Nutrition: Part 2

Copepod - reefs

“Copepodkils”. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons

 Acute starvation has many causes, but always occurs when metabolic demand exceeds ingested food energy and triggers the conversion of stored nutrients. Both sugars (carbohydrates) and proteins (amino acids and peptides) store approximately 4kcal/gm. of tissue. Fats can provide as much as 9kcal/gm.  Lack of adequate food or poor quality food along with injury, infection, infestation and stress all contribute to acute malnutrition. So what happens in acute starvation?  Carbohydrates (sugars) are rapidly converted to CO2, water, and energy. In general, animals store little energy in the form of carbohydrates; in humans, for instance, there are around 900 calories stored as glycogen (a storage form of sugars). These are rapidly depleted. Protein production slows as proteins are redirected and catabolized for energy producing NH4 (ammonia), CO2, water, and energy. In many animals ammonia is converted to less toxic urea and excreted in the urine. In fish, approximately 90% of the ammonia is excreted as ammonia via the gills. The remaining 10% is converted to urea and excreted ultimately through the kidney. The higher metabolic processes are affected first. As you can see in figure 2, even with all-natural foods, more than 60% of the ingested protein is either lost during digestion or catabolized for energy, leaving less than 40% to sustain life. There is a significant energy cost to processing nutrients.… More:

Shed Some Varied Light on Your Reef

The pair of yellow wrasses attempting to spawn after the lighting change in my aquariumThe other night, as I was watching the debate on TV, I noticed that my reef tank got darker. Just a little, but it was darker and yellower. I opened the front (it is in a wall) and noticed that half the LEDs were out. “Okay, no problem,” I thought. “I’ll fix it in the morning.” The lights were about to go out anyway. As I watched, I noticed that my pair of fire clowns, which have a love-hate relationship, looked like they wanted to spawn. The larger one was trying to entice the smaller one into a bottle “cave.” The smaller one eventually followed, and the pair spent “time in the bottle” (reminds me of a song), swimming very close to each other, although I couldn’t hear what they were saying.As I was watching the clowns, I couldn’t help noticing that my pair of bright yellow wrasses was also attempting to spawn.

Aquarium Nutrition: Part 1

Duncanopsammia_axifuga - reefsHealth is defined as the condition of an organism with respect to the performance of its vital functions. Nutrition is the act or process of nourishing or being nourished; specifically, the sum of the processes by which an animal or plant takes in and utilizes food substances. So what is healthy nutrition in the reef aquarium? It is a question that evokes strong emotions and, frequently, heated debate. You, the hobbyist, are “Mother Nature” to your aquarium system. Your decisions directly affect its success or failure, and what successful aquarists have learned is that consistency of care is crucial. The goal of this article is to provide you with clear information so that you can make the best choices for maintaining a healthy and successful ecosystem. Nutrition is essential for all members of the animal kingdom survive, thrive, and reproduce. Our goal must be not only a healthy, but a vibrant, stable, and thriving ecosystem… More:

The Pros and Cons of Aquascaping Marine Aquariums with Dry Rock

Aquascaping with dry rock has a number of advantages and disadvantagesWhen aquascaping their tanks, marine aquarium hobbyists have the option of using live rock or dry rock (or some combination thereof) to create the foundational reef structure. Each of these options is completely workable but, as with every aspect of this hobby, has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. So how to choose which approach might work best for you given your unique circumstances, budget, etc.? To aid in your decision making, let’s explore the pros and cons of each approach, beginning today with the use of dry rock. I’ll tackle the plusses and minuses of live rock aquascaping in a future post.Pros of dry rock aquascaping Dry rocks tend to be easier on the pocketbook. One reason is that they ship dry so you’re paying only for the weight of the rocks, not the added weight of water as with live rock, and there’s no need to shell out for expedited shipping. Also, the better-quality dry rocks on the market tend to be less dense than live rock, so you get a greater volume of rock for your aquascaping dollar.

Prison Tanks

8868_3418_final_report_attica-2_04700300_qfzh4jyeg47qazfc4e357d3alyoxpy7q62c4u66siw3t6qwph3oq_757x567This article offers an interesting perspective at a unique aquarist community that would not come to mind: prisoners. Neptune’s Gardens, a New York pet and fish store, would make weekly deliveries to Attica Prison, a maximum security prison in New York, prior to 1971. Nick LaFarnara explains growing up helping his dad make the deliveries: “I was with my dad when I was 7 years old doing this,” he explained Tuesday. “Every Saturday morning, we used to go up to Buffalo and get the fish and supplies. Every other Saturday, we would take them to Attica.“At that time Attica prisoners had tanks in their cells,” he continued. “No electricity, they just blew (bubbles) through the air lines, and that’s how they kept them. But then after the riot, (prison officials) said everything’s got to go.” Inmates would send money orders to Neptune’s Gardens, who would then deliver the tanks, fish and food. Some of the prisoners had tanks up to 40 gallons in size.… More:

Reefs.com is the world's leading destination for sustainable coral reef farming and the aquarium hobby. We offer a free open forum and reef related news and data to better educate aquarists and further our goals of sustainable reef management.