Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determining water change frequency

I read a paper by David F. Gruber, Jean-Paul Simjouw, Sybil P. Seitzinger, and Gary L. Taghon titled "Dynamics and Characterization of Refractory Dissolved Organic Matter Produced by a Pure Bacterial Culture in an Experimental Predator-Prey System". Basically, it says that bacteria, as a result of their consuming nutrients, are the primary producers of refractory organic compounds. For aquariums, this would mean with little or no consumption of these compounds, they will accumulate. These compounds might be the ones that give aquarium water a yellow tint. At higher levels thaeymight be harmful. Might the accumulation rate of these compounds be used to judge when to perform a water changes? Since a desirable level has not been established for these refractory compounds, an arbitrary level would have to be selected to trigger a water change to bring down the level.

With the Salifert Organics test kit, I will use the test results to trigger water changes in my fish only aquarium. I will use the suggested criteria of 1-3 drops of reagent as indicating low pollution, using two drops as my trigger to perform a water change. I will then compare this frequency of water change to the popular frequencies used by other aquarists and report my findings.

Determining GAC change frequency

There is something else that the Salifert Organics test results might be useful for: determining when GAC is exhausted. Here is how it might work.

Perform the test on the aquarium water. Then perform the test on a small amount of water, 5 ml, after it is slowly passed through 2 gm of fresh GAC. If the tank water level is higher than this amount, the GAC is exhausted. I actually performed this test but in my case the problem was not exhausted GAC but the flow was too slow in my carbon reactor. By tripling the flow rate, the aquarium water organic level was reduced over night to that of water sample treated with fresh GAC. This procedure might be a little more work than most aquarists would like, but it's a start. Maybe Salifert can improve upon it.

In the coming months, I will be using this methodology to determine whether I need to change my GAC or perform a water change to bring down my organics level.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert Organics Not Useful

Salifert Organics Not Useful

I had planned to use the Salifert Organics test to monitor the "organics" that are measured by this kit to help judge when to perform water and GAC changes. My plan failed because the test kit end point is very broad and therefore ambiguous. More damming is the color of the test solutions for RO water, freshly prepared salt water, and aquarium water. They are all identical in side by side comparisons and indicate moderate "pollution". So, don't waste your money on this test kit.

Being still interested in the subject of dissolved organic compounds, I am investigating the use of methylene blue and some mathematical modeling to get a handle on the rate of GAC exhaustion and indirectly to estimate the level of dissolved organic compounds in my system. I will post the results whatever they are.

Dan

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Dan, keep me posted,

I want to give you one warning. Not all GAC is the same, as I am sure you know. But in testing be it known, that for example, GAC-A may remove the dye in say 1 hr and GAC-B in 10 hrs. This does not mean GAC-A removed more only that it removes it faster. You will find GAC like A & B, where both removed the same amount before they are exhausted, B is just slower at it.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Dan, keep me posted,

I want to give you one warning. Not all GAC is the same, as I am sure you know. But in testing be it known, that for example, GAC-A may remove the dye in say 1 hr and GAC-B in 10 hrs. This does not mean GAC-A removed more only that it removes it faster. You will find GAC like A & B, where both removed the same amount before they are exhausted, B is just slower at it.

Thanks Boomer! I will even stick to the same bottle of GAC for my tests.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: