grandmasterhash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have a power supply from Steve's LEDs that is outputting 22v and not the 24v that it should. (I have heard that their power supplies are cheap)
The drivers for the LEDs burnt out for an unknown reason and I am having to get those boards replaced. Before I throw more money at this issue I wanted to just ensure that the power supply outputting 22v is not an issue.

Thanks for the help.

Special thanks to member Vio for generously inviting me over and disassembling my entire hood and thoroughly testing it out

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
What is the tolerance of the device you are powering? There could be a plus or minus % tolerance that will allow the device to safely run above or below the 24volts

grandmasterhash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hmm.. interesting question. thanks a lot. that's the drivers that would have tolerance??
i'll see if i can find it on the website or google it.
they are propriatary drivers.. if i have to email steve's leds to get the answer to that then there's no point. those guys take half a week to respond, if they do at all

how would i go about finding out the tolerance? any tips?

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i think , u problem is the drivers, NOT the power supply, +-1 V wold not make big dif. i remember u got power up to the drivers, then NONE after, did u try to replace the drivers ?!. Vio

grandmasterhash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello again, friend. Yeah, ever since I last saw you I have been going back and forth uselessly with Steve's LEDs. They take 3-6 days to respond if they do at all, and they keep asking the same questions and providing no useful information at all. I'm thinking of starting a thread about it because it is so ridiculous.

As much as it goes against my better judgement, I'm just going to fork over the $25 for a new driver from them. If it doesn't work I'm switching to RapidLED as you suggested.

Last edited:

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
i am an electrician the power supply could most definitely be the problem. over would not be an issue under yes.

Over could cause a problem too. Components all have a specific tolerance. Too little voltage could cause not enough power to turn on device. To much voltage over long duration could cause components to burn out ending with same result.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I know it's an old thread but I saw it and thought I'd throw in my 2?. A "12v" car system runs around 14.4v when the car is running. It needs to, to charge the "12v" battery. Most anything that is rated at a captain voltage is designed to run a few volts above. Now if it were double the voltage, yes that would be a problem, but when a car battery is sitting being used and falls to 10v and under, you start losing function of the onboard devices. I believe this is what he many and the theory behind the statement. Hope the issue has since been resolved and you're up and running. Sorry couldn't help but post

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: