beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm looking to hook up a lobster tank for a friend, and was wondering what our options are.

They want to make it as low maintenance as possible of course but who doesn't.

It is a 3-tier ~400g system with three tanks, with the lowest one about 6" off the floor. In the two back corners in each of the three tanks there are sections - one for drain, one for return.

I am familiar with measuring and cutting pipes and fittings, but not sure how one would filter this. I was thinking of setting up a normal SW sump system with skimmer, pump but not familiar with the requirements of live seafood.

I know they sadly only need to survive a short while but I would like the parameters to be very good with hopes that it will make the inhabitants taste better. I wonder if using reef salt might help the taste?

I have a chiller ready, 1/3hp which should be enough for an indoor temp. controlled facility.

My biggest questions are:
1. How does one run a sump if necessary with the tank so low to the ground?
2. Is a protein skimmer necessary or could I use huge canister filters and UV?
3. Do they require a lot of wet/dry filtration? Can I just use a canister filter?
4. Does anyone here have experience that can point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• 1122141454a.jpg
    1122141454a.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 1122141453.jpg
    1122141453.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 246

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Download the lobster tank training guide powerpoint from Stark to get some ideas on biological filters, UV, chillers, protein skimmers, etc... http://www.starkproducts.com/operation.cfm

They are a local company in College Point, NY that sets up lobster tanks and seafood display cases. You've probably seen them in supermarkets in the Queens area. Your chiller might be too weak to keep the temp in the low 40s for a 400 gallon lobster tank system. HTHs. Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: