Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi MR,

For a while now my 6 bar angelfish has been swimming around with a large white spot on his body. My local lfs told me that it doesn't look like any type of infection, but it may be malnutrition. I've changed up his diet with a combination of frozen brine shrimp, frozen krill, frozen mysis shrimp, and mega marine algae. Also been adding vitamin supplement from lfs to his diet. Water parameters are 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 60-70 nitrates (a bit high, but told from lfs that this should not be a factor). Any thoughts? Thanks.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have a chevron tang that had a similar white spot on his face. i was told it was lateral line decease. it kept getting bigger then stopped, but left his face scared but he lived. that was about a year ago, and he's still here but an eye sore with a white mask.

Cryersen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the input, edd.

Yeah, the spot hasn't grown any bigger over the past few months; however, I'm wondering if this condition is possibly reversible through proper nutrition and water parameters. Also, I need to get rid of him soon as he has outgrown his tank.

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Cryersen, Stray voltage in your tank could also be one of the reasons for lateral line decease.

How To Test for Stray Voltage
Purchase or borrow a voltage meter. They can generally be found for less than $20 at most automotive parts or hardware store.
Turn the selector to "120 AC Voltage".
Insert the tip of the black probe into the third or "grounding" hole in an electrical outlet.
Insert the metal tip of the red probe into the tank water.
Watch the meter needle for any movement. Any needle movement indicates a voltage leak in your system.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hi
Does the angelfish eat flakes or pellets? If he does soak them in Vitamin C and Selcon. Another factor in keeping angelfish healthy is keeping the salt at the proper level between 1.022-1.026. If you can feed him more pellets, the nutritional value(protein) is much higher then the frozen foods.
Hope this helps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: