Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi,
I have a acrylic 17 gal frag tank that's been growing some slime. It's white to light brown in color and slightly slimy when touched. Comes off things easily, but grows back quickly. I do not run a skimmer, but do weekly water changes and have 0 phosphates, nitrates, nitrites. I have chemi-pure blue in the tank. I run LED's and the temp is a steady 80F. I've tried doing massive water changes 75%+ every few days after removing as much stuff as I can, it just comes back as few days later. Needs some ideas.
photo 1(1).jpgphoto 2(1).jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Yep. Not sure if you are on njreefers, or manhattan reefs, and mods sorry to reference other boards, but i posted before and after pictures of my results. Same user name.

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just make sure you use it accordingly. It says you need to run your skimmer wet, but you don't have a skimmer. You might not get similar results. Also, just bc you have 0 phosphates doesn't mean phosphates do not exist in the system. Phosphorus exists in two primary forms in seawater: as inorganic phosphates, especially orthophosphate, and as organophosphate forms. Orthophosphate is readily taken up by algae and is active in inhibiting calcification. The organic forms may or may not be available to organisms such as algae. Aquarists can readily test for inorganic orthophosphate using a standard aquarium phosphate test kit, but testing for organic phosphorus compounds is considerably more tedious. Moreover, if there is an algae problem, then the algae may be consuming the orthophosphate as fast as it enters the water, thereby masking the issue. Consequently, many reef aquarists may not recognize that they have a phosphate problem, only that they have an algae problem.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarists new to dosing vodka have occasionally reported "white slime" when their dosing amounts were not quite worked out. I wonder if this the same thing.

Are you dosing anything to the frag tank?

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Let me try to remember what I did. I apologize if I am missing something. Remove all absorption media, run skimmer wet, no trace element dosing, lights off helps significantly. If I were you, I would get a few more snails. Prior to algae x, my snails wouldn't touch the algae. During the treatment, my snails went nuts. I think algae x releases enzyme or maybe a bonding enzyme / something but it made my snails eat everyyhig in 2 days. I highly highly HIGHLY recommend that you go through with the entire treatment even though the algae disappears. Make sure you follow the water change schedule. Best of luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: