wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 29 biocube hqi. I upgraded the light to an Ecotech Radion gen 2. the tank seems to love it. Other equipment is:

mp10 power head
inovative marine AuqaGadget midsized skimmer
Poly Filter
macro algae in the second chamber
two little fishies 150 reactor running phosban

as far as fish i have a pair of black clowns and a watchman gobie. I think the clowns may be bonded, but i cant tell. anyone know how i can tell? i have had them for about 3 months and boy have they grown. I have been feeding the tank rods original and the tank seems to love it. I just picked up a pectinia frag from manhattan aquariums. and a rainbow acan from pets warehouse. pictures are below and im loving them.

sorry for the bad pics. i used my phone. my sister has a real nice cannon that im trying to get my hands on. Ill up load those as soon as i get a chance

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,079
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,098

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quick growth. Nice looking setup.
I'm in the process of setting up a 5 gallon. Nanos can be tricky but worth it. It really teaches you to stay on top of maintenance.

yea i was originally using reef crystal and then recently started to switched over to red sea salt. since i switched the growth has been amazing. even the coraline on the glass started to blow up.

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some up date pics. Taken around Easter. I also picked up a new little guy. I believe it is a GARF Bonsai coral. you can correct me if im wrong but I believe thats what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the bonsai. the first picture is about 10 min after i put it in. the second picture is from the next day. he seems to really like where he is. since then hes even more open. sorry for the poor quality I used my phone. ill try and get some better ones with the good camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 656

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share on how you nodded the hood for the radion?

The model of biocube I have is the HQI. So my tank didnt really have a cover per say. All it had was a glass cover that the metal halide light was suspended over. All I simply did was hang the radion from the ceiling with some nice looking chain that I bought from home depot. So if you want to consider that modding, that is all I did.

Also I have been battling a pretty severe algae outbreak for since September. At first I thought it was hair algae but after a bunch of methods to get rid of it. Many including critters to eat it. I believe it is Bryopsis so today I added a mangrove to the display tank. One because it looks kinda cool imo and two to help to lower my nitrates even more. If anyone has any suggestions to help eliminate it. I am all ears.

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Good luck with the move, let me know how it goes. I'll probably need the same service when we move.
I have a 29 biocube as well but as of late having trouble keeping the temperature under 83. How are you dealing with the heat this summer?

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move, let me know how it goes. I'll probably need the same service when we move.
I have a 29 biocube as well but as of late having trouble keeping the temperature under 83. How are you dealing with the heat this summer?

After the move this summer I suffered a huge tank crash. I lost everything except a few zoas, my clowns, my gobie and about half my duncan. However the movers were really good about it. They said they would replace everything to the best of their ability. So to all those people that I had message and talked with about corals. I apologize for not getting back to you. Between the tank crash and the move and school work thing have been a little crazy.

Though the best news of today is after letting the tank settle and thing start to calm down. This weekend is the weekend that I will begin to restock the tank. Hopefully by sunday I will have some updated pics.

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks for updating the thread. I set up a 29g recently with LEDs (bought the setup used, LEDs were aftermarket but installed by them), so it's nice to see what you did with your tank, and your thoughts as you went through the process.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out well during the move. I used to have a 24g nanocube in college, and I moved it more times than I care to think (maybe 6 times?) but I was fortunate to never lose anything in the moves.

Best of luck with the new setup, and if you ever want to talk with someone who just went through the setup phase and is (probably) finished with the stocking phase in the same/similar tank, I'd be happy to help out!

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teaser pics

So I decided to post some teaser pics. My sister is home and has with her the good camera. As soon as she can snap off the pics and load them up I will load them here. Attached is a semi full tank shot. Still have some corals on the sand but will be starting to move them up and glue them down shortly. The second is my favorite coral Garf Purple Bonsai. Have to thank Rob&Gab for that one. He had a lotta nice stuff unfortunately I didn't have alot to spend.

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 184
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 187

wharris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the camera. But it took me about a week to figure out how to use it. Who thought that would be the hard part. I was able to snap off a few pics. I personally dont think the camera does the acros justice. But thats just me. Ill have to work on my camera skills.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 170
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 171
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 165

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: