Mark2480

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
So my son was cleaning the garage and found these pics of a the tank i had set up back in 1990. Brings back some memories no controllers or leds or none of the fancy things that are on my new tank. Just thought I would share.

Attachments

• PIC00001.jpg
    PIC00001.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 730
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 717
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 713

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
That's pretty impressive for 1990.

House

+1 Very nice for 1990. Most guys had dead coral skeleton fish only systems then :)

Were you reading Marine fish Monthly back then? Was GARF techniques available to the public in 90? I didn't get into saltwater until 96 I think. GARF, MFM mag, and the Brooklyn aquarium society were my main sources of reefing info.

Mark2480

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Honestly I can't remember what I was reading back then. The tank was full of softies cause that's what was around. It had two old power heads for flow and can't remember what return pump I used. A friend of mine made the overflow box and that pvc return. All I remember was trying to fit as many lights as a could in that canopy lol. Tank was a 75 gallon and had a diy sump and protein skimmer. That tank lasted 8 years and did great until we went on vacation and came back to a wiped out tank cause we had lost power for a few days while we were gone.

Last edited:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I don't look in this forum often, but glad I did ..... WOW your tank looks very similar to mine back in '90... Softies and as many fluorescent lights I could fit in the canopy of my 90. Underground and Skilter filters, wet/dries those were the days..... Very limited sources for finding any decent info on corals and fish. I had to live and learn from mistakes. One of my first fish was a Panther grouper, beautiful little guy white with black poka-dots....came back from vacation only to find it was the only fish in the tank...LOL

Mark2480

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Thanks, and I'm not joking when I say I learned that exact same lesson owning a small little panther grouper back in those days. That guy grew quick, and he was nice and fat the day half my fish went missing. Those were the days lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: