redtigrinus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am setting up a new reef tank and I'm always hearing that I should go as big as I can afford and accommodate. But, I as we all know the cost of having a reef aquarium doesn't stop at the initial setup so my question to all you experienced reefers is how much money are you spending each month to maintain your tanks?

I currently have a 90 Gallon but I have an opportunity to go as large as 150 Gallons. This tank will eventually be an SPS dominant tank with a large bioload, just to give you a gauge as to what I'm thinking with this setup.

Any input you all could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have 2 tanks - a 60 cube with 20 sump and a 45 frag with 20 sump.
I do water changes every other week - 4 a month. Salt costs me $ 70 a 175g bucket (red sea pro).
Electricity is a real bear.
Not to mention the "I need a new skimmer" and "wow, that maxspect gyre is cool"

I would say I pay close to $ 50 - $75 a month.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So I guess you don't pay for electricity. Or pay for water for your RODI? Or pay gas and tolls when you buy fish or dry goods for your tank? $5 is awesome

LOL

My 125 gallon I figured was less than 20$ a month in electricity and water. salt, food, frags, supplements, tests, etc,,cant be more than 50$ without frags.

Paulieb273

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 gallon with a 125 gallon sump cost me about 50 a month in electric food is 15 to 20 a month (fish and coral) I do 40 gallon water changes 2 times a week so 2 pails of Red Sea coral pro a month let's say on sale 60ea so 120 a month. Then comes coral and fish purchases 200 a month. Just recently lost a whole tank of coral due to an unknown reason. So that about sums up the monthly cost not including water

redtigrinus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. These comments have been really helpful. I was for a 150 gallon tank I was figuring about $60 - $75 a month not including utilities. Seems I'm about on the same page with most of you.

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator then add the cost of salt, water and food. Which shouldn't be much. You can add gas and tolls if you want. You will spend more money at the beginning trying stuff out and getting your routine down.

Not including electric because I have no idea my 40 gallon reef probably costs me $20 a month maybe less. My predator 220 costs me about $60. These numbere include stuff like new carbon, biopellete, t5 bulbs and uv bulbs once a year averaged over the 12 months. Most of the extra money is salt for larger water changes and food which I get for the most part at the Asian market.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcenter_calculators_tank_electrical.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Take into consideration that since you want to go SPS dominant you will definitely have the cost of dosing or a calcium reactor and media. Depending on the growth of the corals the amount you will need will vary.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
First make sure u got the right light fix. then good Protein Skimmer, then chiller, then good Aquascape, then good RO/Di, then good salt , etc. SPS dominant tank is hard to say how much ? depend how easy , u make $.

redtigrinus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take into consideration that since you want to go SPS dominant you will definitely have the cost of dosing or a calcium reactor and media. Depending on the growth of the corals the amount you will need will vary.

First make sure u got the right light fix. then good Protein Skimmer, then chiller, then good Aquascape, then good RO/Di, then good salt , etc. SPS dominant tank is hard to say how much ? depend how easy , u make $.

I agree. I'm asking the question based on all the necessary equipment being in place. I'm going LED so no bulb replacing like on some other options.

I'm wondering what a fully stocked 150 gallon sps reef might cost per month to maintain mostly in terms of dosing additives, salt, etc based on bi-weekly water changes. I wont be using a calcium reactor. I'll be using a 2 part (3 part) solution. I may or may not run GFO and I intend to have a refugium.

Try not to think about, it takes fun out of it!

I hear ya but, I just want to make sure I can afford to maintain it, otherwise I may need to go a little smaller. Wouldn't be fun if I couldn't keep up with it and I gotta keep the wife happy!

Thanks for all the great feedback you guys, keep it coming!

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Not sure, if LEDs is the best choice, u may need 2 or even 3 for 150 gal. SPS tank, cost list $ 1000 (for 3) then burn around 70 w each, I true , LED Emitter run 50.000 hours (5 years +) but NOT the drivers or controller, some members prefer T5, ATI, cost $ 600 , then u have $ 400 for light bulbs. You are the judge.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: