Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
People are constantly requesting help on identifying what kind of SPS coral they have. I often wonder about a few of my pieces as well. In the couple years I've been in the hobby, I think I can accurately distinguish the majority of corals that are kept in the hobby but will get stuck a little on SPS specifically. I think their difficulty to keep plays a role in this. Many times I will see SPS corals with little color or little polyp extension because the corals are not in an ideal tank nor kept under the right parameters. This makes them even harder to identify. Then you have SPS with disfigured branches because they're recovering after being fragged. Or they're simply too small to get a good idea of what the SPS is. The list goes on

Anyway, what am I getting at? Does anyone have a good resource for distinguishing types of SPS? I don't mean acropora vs stylophora. I mean more along the lines of acro millepora vs acro tenius vs acro valida; focusing more on their structure, shape, texture, polyp extension not so much color.

There are several coral databases out there with images as examples but they are a bit simplified. Their comparisons are more SPS vs LPS or acro vs monti which is not really what I'm looking for. If nobody has a link then maybe some of the resident SPS experts here can weigh in. If you have some nice large colonies in your tank that can be of help, post some photos!

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
246   0   0
There is a series of books write by Vernon. Corals of the World, Corals of Australia, etc. Julian Sprung also has a similar book.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, what am I getting at?

I have no idea. I can't tell if you want a resource in help identifying coral species or you want people to show pictures of their coral. Google is a great resource and even has a image search. You can find good resources and look at pictures. In much of society, research means to investigate something you do not know or understand. Laziness never helped anyone succeed.

I have a bunch of great books on coral taxonomy, several dichotomous keys to identify coral and coral id cards from my dives. The information is out there you just have to do some research yourself. You will learn the value of a little hard work and research by working hard and conducting research.

Great link Rob. It was very informative. I don't think the OP knows what he is looking for.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I have no idea. I can't tell if you want a resource in help identifying coral species or you want people to show pictures of their coral. Google is a great resource and even has a image search. You can find good resources and look at pictures. In much of society, research means to investigate something you do not know or understand. Laziness never helped anyone succeed.

I have a bunch of great books on coral taxonomy, several dichotomous keys to identify coral and coral id cards from my dives. The information is out there you just have to do some research yourself. You will learn the value of a little hard work and research by working hard and conducting research.

Great link Rob. It was very informative. I don't think the OP knows what he is looking for.

Attachments

• Troll.jpg
    Troll.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 268

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: