Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a sps dominate tank
My calcium is 450
Mag is 1400
Salt 1.026
And alk is 7
I use all Red Sea test kits
I also used API test kit for alk( just to double check)
I dose 90 ml a day of alk
My question is how can I raise my alk to 9dhk ??
Is it possible o need to dose more ??
I use Esv 2 part and I have a 80 g tank

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I actually aim for about 7dKH alk (supposedly natural sea water, but it can fluctuate depending on where its collected), but I see no issues at 9dKH. About 11dKH is where my SPS tips would burn, but I've heard others keep their SPS at 11dKH, so each tank may be different.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Because my alk is at 9 and was told its too high lol

In addition to that, the "experts" said sps requires alk at 7

Like I said, self pro-claimed "experts"

Well see that is your problem you don't listen to what people say you just get yourself crazy and read what you want to read. If you go back and re-read your post you will see that people wrote if you carbon dose your Alk needs to be low not all SPS tanks. I don't carbon dose and my Alk is at 9. If I was to carbon dose I would slowly drop my Alk to 7 7.5

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To actually answer your question, a cheap and easy way to raise your ALK would be to use baking soda. Read up on Randy's 2 part. There's a lot of great information there. I keep my Alk at 9-9.5 only because I want it mid range in the safety zone in case something goes amiss before I catch it.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Had the same problem but was trying to bring mine up to 8.5 was using esv alk but did not go up that much no matter how much I dosed. Spoke to a great member once again thank you BOOMER. Started using baking soda as I was recommended to now my alk is at 8.5.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this somewhat amusing, Ok, very amusing

In addition to that, the "experts" said sps requires alk at 7

The Alk on coral reefs is much lower than that, 6.3 dKH, so how is it then they can grow ...lol

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I was told and I read a link that was posted to answer a similar question I asked..There was a alk# in relation the cal# to find the balance..I was also trying to raise my alk to at least nine but it woldnt go up unless I dosed part one by alot more but it still would drop..My alk stays 7.8-8 and my cals 450 they really dont move much and I dose 25ml for a 40gal half sps half lps.Il look to find the chart ill post it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: