BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hi,
I'm almost ready to add water to my tank and have been wondering if I can or anybody have luck with using well water then using some type of filter media right away. I don't want to waste 1200 gallons of water making 300 not to mention my RO/DI unit is rated at 90gpd which would take me all week.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Hi,
I'm almost ready to add water to my tank and have been wondering if I can or anybody have luck with using well water then using some type of filter media right away. I don't want to waste 1200 gallons of water making 300 not to mention my RO/DI unit is rated at 90gpd which would take me all week.

Use rodi water...90 gpd would take 3-4 days depending on amount of LR and size of sump...if you're upgrading, then you may need that much less new water

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I wish I had the water from my 120gal,,, the thing is my current RO unit wastes so much water. With all the different media from Poly filter to Purigen there's gotta be something that'll make the water good.

cody0709

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
A good friend of mine uses tap water with water conditioner and his tanks are beautiful. I have never done that however i do make rodi and put a squirt of conditioner in the water as a second form of protection.
The water Feng sells is salt water- I use it whenever I set up a new system.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I think Albano is right I need a better bigger RO system anyways because my top of water is to and my current unit was built by spectrapure in 09 and need all new everything

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
...my current unit was built by spectrapure in 09 and need all new everything

I don't think that you need new everything...new filters and new membrane should make it 'like new'... You can purchase a new (or used) RO unit and another 90gpd membrane and add it to your present unit, to make less waste water. Easy to do, no need to spend a lot of $.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: