Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
question for the poeple building these diy led units. I guess most are using aluminum flat or angle pieces from home depot to asseble the framework.

my question is what are you using to connect the aluminum pieces, are people taking these to local welders to be TIG or MIG welded? are the using self tapping screws or maybe some kind of weldon or plumbers puddy to fasten them.

I want to build one but im not sure how to connect the frame together. like at the corners andI dont want it to fall apart and droop my lights in the tank :duh:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Or you can get some of this. Can be bought at any convenience store or bodega.

gum1.jpg

I would use 2 sticks per corner for max strenght. Also use self tapping sheet metal screws and predrill holes for them first. Home depot has a bunch of corner brackets as well in steel that help too if your building with flat aluminum.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
http://durafix.com/

and if i remember correctly yes you can use a mig or tig but the mig requires a special wire to use and most set-ups arent correct for use of aluminum, the wire is smaller then what most migs use and cause's bunching trying to run it through the guun, we had a convertion kit for our mig at work. being alot of cars have anbd or use aluminum parts we were required to purchased for those use's

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
thanks for the link that looks like a greta choice if Jeremy flakes out ;)

ok so what kind if hanging kit are people using ? is there a best choice?

just an fyi im not doing LED im just building a rack to hold my MH pendant and 4 retro T5's. i just happe to have most of the lighting ill need and i like diy projects and i want the MH off to one side a little for my anemone.. so i decided id make my own. also im buying it a little at a time so wifey doesn't notice!

one more question. should i have the thing powder coated when im done or will it be OK bear aluminum?

Last edited:

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
i have a tig. just need to use rods make for aluminum but want the hell do i know lol
and man i am hurt you think i would flake out on you wow i am hurt:irked:

and if i remember correctly yes you can use a mig or tig but the mig requires a special wire to use and most set-ups arent correct for use of aluminum, the wire is smaller then what most migs use and cause's bunching trying to run it through the guun, we had a convertion kit for our mig at work. being alot of cars have anbd or use aluminum parts we were required to purchased for those use's

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
this stuff will work too:eek:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
arati check out member Jim 300g tank build, he made aluminum light rack on a roll out frame to pull it clear out of the way, 3x 250w mh pendents 4 vho's and led all attached to it

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
i have a tig. just need to use rods make for aluminum but want the hell do i know lol
and man i am hurt you think i would flake out on you wow i am hurt:irked:

haha hey I flaked out on picking up the bucket :tongue1:

but nah i didn't think you would man im just playin, and im sure you would do a better job them my sloppy a$$.

I picked up the aluminum today. I should be cut up and ready.. in a few weeks LOL. I cant decide if I should stay with my 250 or downsize to a 150DE that i have in the basement.

you cant belive how fast those sps frags are taking off in my tank. its unreal you have some healthy corals!

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
thanks glad to hear there doing good i say dump the mh and go with t5s lmao and yes you did flake on the bucket ha ha ha
haha hey I flaked out on picking up the bucket :tongue1:

but nah i didn't think you would man im just playin, and im sure you would do a better job them my sloppy a$$.

I picked up the aluminum today. I should be cut up and ready.. in a few weeks LOL. I cant decide if I should stay with my 250 or downsize to a 150DE that i have in the basement.

you cant belive how fast those sps frags are taking off in my tank. its unreal you have some healthy corals!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: