Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Batt you're really making yourself sound quite ignorant and pretty irritating to be honest. You have no proof to backup anything your saying except "my friend". What person in their right mind is going to take apart a 700$ fixture just to prove some guy on a forum wrong? If your friend threw his out, why didn't you take it apart beforehand to backup any of the claim your making. You built your own LED fixture so you must be an expert. You should've taken it apart if you hate it so much. The real question is why do you have such a "displeasure" for these fixtures? You're badmouthing something you have no personal experience with.

Nothing new. He has more locked threads than a Chinese spambot.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/equipment/97280-acan-leds-realy-ecolamp.html

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
This is right from their website.

The A102AC, A103AC, A104AC uses so-called 3 watt LED bulbs with similar specifications as Cree XPG. Manufacturers who drive 3 watts to each bulb can potentially cut down their production costs by reducing the number of bulbs and lenses used, but this comes at the expense of reliability and efficiency. In contrast, in order to maximize longevity, increase longevity, and maximize lumens, we only drive approximately 1 to 1.3 watts to each bulb.
The A101AC uses "1 watt" bulbs, but we've chosen to drive only approximately .25 watts to each bulb to ensure the maximum reliability and efficiency, and also to minimize heat generation.
We are closely working with a select number of top LED bulb manufacturers who are committed to developing specially produced bulbs most suitable for aquarium lighting. Based on our comparison tests, the high-quality bulbs used in our fixtures are superior for meeting the needs of reef keepers and more efficient than the bulbs from big name companies.

I read this of course, thanks anyway. My question was directed to Batt600 saying that they are over driving the LEDs. From James's website, they are claiming the reverse of under driving while Batt600 is claiming they are over driving.

The recent bad mouthing about over driving from 1 watt to 1.5 watt must have a source, I heard the same statement over driving directing to a company(which I am very familiar with) other than Acan from a guy who actually came to my LED party before. So I want to know how they come to the conclusion that the leds are actually 1W but then over driven to 1.5W Do they hear it from a misleading website(like the Orphek scandal) or such? Or do they have a great magnifying scoop to read out the real estate of the diode to compute the wattage? Or is it just fashionable to bad mouth LED enitities by using the phrase "over driving"? In fact, to over drive a 1W LEd to 1.5W without burning before warranty expires is EXTREMELY challenging so what business person in the right mind would even do this unless they are internet companies whom you may have no recourse. I sincerely doubt the wisdom in this statement of over driving from 1W to 1.5W.

@Batt600, you said you can read out the number on the LEDs, I been in LED business for so many years including contracting factory to make the first 12,000K and 20,000 for US market but I have yet to see ONE single LED that has markings of their model number. I assume you may be much more advanced than me, so I took your advise and try to read some brand new Cree XRE, a Cree XPG, an EPI and a Bridgelux but yet I have not found any number on them. You really have to teach me this old timer where to look.

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
This thread took a life of its own. Its really interesting. is the cost of 3w LED that much more than a 1W LED to risk burning out LEDs by "over driving" them? Doesn't sound like it would make sense regardless if its difficult or not. Just sounds like poor business to me. Whats the guarantee that it wont burn out before the warranty is over? Just from a business perspective.

My local LFS is using it for their DT but they aren't tall tanks. Would driving a "3W LED" at 3W have higher penetration than say 2 "3w LED" at 1.5W?

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have Ai lights on my tank, from experience I know that these lights are brighter than some of the other units that were out there when I purchased them. I am not here to bash any company nor make money for another, what I say is from using the units that I have. I have a 200DD tank and when I started I had two units on this tank and it was bright and provided enough coverage. I looked at the Acan light fixtures as well, but one thing sold me on AI, the upgradability. If you get a bigger tank then buy another unit, that simple. when you are shelling out that kind of money, being able to keep it plays a big role. With AI, with a simple allen wrench, you can change lenses or leds all by yourself without having to ship out.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have Ai lights on my tank, from experience I know that these lights are brighter than some of the other units that were out there when I purchased them. I am not here to bash any company nor make money for another, what I say is from using the units that I have. I have a 200DD tank and when I started I had two units on this tank and it was bright and provided enough coverage. I looked at the Acan light fixtures as well, but one thing sold me on AI, the upgradability. If you get a bigger tank then buy another unit, that simple. when you are shelling out that kind of money, being able to keep it plays a big role. With AI, with a simple allen wrench, you can change lenses or leds all by yourself without having to ship out.
Does AI lighting have to be ceiling mounted?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Aquarium Village, the new LFS across from the Source mall in Carle Place sells Acan and AI LED lighting. If you want to see them in person.
Dont know what kind of product knowledge they have, they both look like sweet lights.
They also sell the cheaper LEDs.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Aquarium Village, the new LFS across from the Source mall in Carle Place sells Acan and AI LED lighting. If you want to see them in person.
Dont know what kind of product knowledge they have, they both look like sweet lights.
They also sell the cheaper LEDs.
thanks imbarrie. thats actually my LFS. hehe i go there weekly. They were the ones that suggested i get Acans.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
oh really? if you have seen me. im the big 6'3 asian guy. lol i usually swing by on friday's when they get their new fish.

I don't trust them china LED. They aren't always to specifications. theres no quality control.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: