budddman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Are both controllers, controllable via the internet with a droid? Also any personal opinions? Im hearing that the apex is the bettter of the two,however i dont really plan on buying either the apex or the reef keeper elite. More than likely i will be purchasing apex jr or rk lite(not the basic). I like the fact that net is included with apex...but theres no display....yet with rkl i get display and also ph probe and 2 dc4's which is 8 outlets over the 4 with the apex jr...

Any advice or insight is welcome.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Reefs

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I have the apex. I first had an app on my samsung galaxy to control it made by a member on reef central (Henry h) and it was not that good. It always forced closed and was pretty buggy. Now that I have the app for iPhone which is from Neptune systems it works great. Flawless. If I have to turn something off I automatically go for my phone because it is easier

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Not sure, but I think for me the main difference is with Apex, u can view and make changes from your phone. RK needs net module and be connected to a computer with remote desktop to do the same.

Apex Jr is offered with a display by some vendors.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I'm ordering the reef keeper plus w net module, moonlight controller and an extra PC4 from Russ later today. Total of 12 outlets, programmable moonlights, Internet access without a pc and all the programming of the elite without the fancy display. All for the same price as an Apex.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Apex Vs. RK

I've been using DA products for over 2 years (RK original and RK2). Never a problem, I recently upgraded to a RKE and sold the over two units in good working order. That speaks volumes for their quality and durability. The one thing I like about their product is they are easy to setup and pretty much trouble free. Im in the process of acquiring a Net module for mine to be able to control w/ my phones internet. Take your time with your decision since its a considerable investment. :grouphug:

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex

Apex has the better technical support and is technically superior based on internal bus and architecture. As for people complaining about programming, if you want flexibility, the programming is a huge plus. If you are concerned about it, there are a number of sites and individuals who will share their programs with you. In the past I bought other products that were cheaper or came with more options and then later regretted not spending a little extra and getting the best product with the best technical support. Ive had my apex now for over 2 years and have never regretted it. With the droid app it is awesome.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You should really decide what you want the controller to do, I have both the Apex and RKL and found they both work great. The built in website is nice but can't recall the last time I used it, I know others live by it and their iPhone/Android app.

On the new tank I went with the Apex, I found customer service a little better than DA. The Apex could control 4 Tunzes or dimmable lights, I have all 4 controlling my LEDs (RK will need 2 ALC). From there they both did the same.

If you like to tinker with the controller a lot more than the average person you may also want to take a look at the Reef Angel controller.

If you have the Net module for the RK it does not need to be hooked up to a PC or use remote desktop. The turn off for me w the Apex is programming.

Interesting I found the Apex just as easy to program.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Just finished installing apex. Wow that was easy. Programming not hard at all. Also bought the wxm module for vortechs....amazing. Can set multiple vortech settings at different times of day and even different days of the week. Also hooked up my LEDs to the two variable dimming ports for my main tank and refugium LEDs..... Works like a dream.
I don't have to touch the controller.... I can just use my phone. It doesn't connect via pc.... It connects through router and uses dyndns so I can access it from any computer anywhere. Password protected easy to use. I love it.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
72d06cc0.jpg

982ebe64.jpg

e9672822.jpg

My ph probes are not calibrated yet lol.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Apex has the better technical support and is technically superior based on internal bus and architecture. As for people complaining about programming, if you want flexibility, the programming is a huge plus. If you are concerned about it, there are a number of sites and individuals who will share their programs with you. In the past I bought other products that were cheaper or came with more options and then later regretted not spending a little extra and getting the best product with the best technical support. Ive had my apex now for over 2 years and have never regretted it. With the droid app it is awesome.

This could be looked at two ways. The programmability is a nice feature if you have a need for control at that level. The fact that there are as many "Support" sites and "User Guides" could lead one to feel that the programming is not easy nor intuitive. If it was why all the need for the support?

From what I have read the customer support nod does seem to favor the APEX. As far as technically superior, they both accomplish the same thing just in different ways. Lets be honest 32bit vs 8bit is not a large concern nor difference for 99.8% of the users. Are ANY of us going to need more than 160 outlets or 63 modules Lol...

I certainly wouldn't call the RK or APEX "Cheap" We are talking $500 for just a controller no matter which way you go.

Some favor "All in one" style units like the APEX. Some prefer to buy what they need/want. It's nice being able to make that choice not have it made for me.

I look at controllers in the same way I look at lighting choices. T5 vs LED, and just like that debate, what a user owns or spent money on largely dictates there support of or for. They both accomplish the same thing in different ways w different pro's and con's.

I have fell in love with the ease (simplicity) of the RK2 I currently use. If it were not for the fading display and lack of internet connectivity I would not need nor be looking for another controller.

It comes down to doing your research, taking opinions from users w a grain of salt and deciding what makes YOU happy. I don't think either one would be considered a "Bad" choice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: