Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Reviving this discussion again. My sump is being built! Going with the lifereef overflow.
Jeff at LifeReef suggests a mag 7 pump which is a substantial amount of flow for a refugium. I have a RedSea Max and the pump will need to push water about 3 feet. Has anywone used a smaller pump with a lifereef?

2012_06_20_09_18_18.pdf001.jpg

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I use a Sicce Syncra 2.0 (568 GPH) return with my LifeReef (1" drain, though with more elbows than I care to have...stupid small stand) I have to valve back the Sicce to about 80% power to not have the drain burp every 5 seconds, which I think means the drain can't keep up with the return speed. (someone tell me otherwise)

I'm assuming the necessity to valve it back is because i'm not draining optimally due to the 90's, but I can't exactly be sure without replumbing my drain, which isn't happening.

Mag 7 is 700 gph...so... I dunno. Worse comes to worse you just put a valve on it and dial it back. (I'd put a valve and a union on there anyway for maintenance sake.) If you plan on driving a reactor or something by T-ing the return, that might take care of the extra oomph the Mag 7 provides too. (again, another valve and union)

Jeff is pretty wise...in general I listen to him. Is he building your sump? I'd love to have a LifeReef sump. DROOL

BTW - i have a 50g + sump. I don't drive my reactor with the return.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I had to google "union" but that just came up with getting hitched. So I asked my sump builder and he sent me links. :meow:

I also found a link on RB where someone had a 250 or 300 GPH pump and it caused a bubble at the top of the J tube. I'm considering a mag 5 which has 500GPH. The rest of your post needs to be in english also.

106.gif

:) thanks for the info!

I use a Sicce Syncra 2.0 (568 GPH) return with my LifeReef (1" drain, though with more elbows than I care to have...stupid small stand) I have to valve back the Sicce to about 80% power to not have the drain burp every 5 seconds, which I think means the drain can't keep up with the return speed. (someone tell me otherwise)

I'm assuming the necessity to valve it back is because i'm not draining optimally due to the 90's, but I can't exactly be sure without replumbing my drain, which isn't happening.

Mag 7 is 700 gph...so... I dunno. Worse comes to worse you just put a valve on it and dial it back. (I'd put a valve and a union on there anyway for maintenance sake.) If you plan on driving a reactor or something by T-ing the return, that might take care of the extra oomph the Mag 7 provides too. (again, another valve and union)

Jeff is pretty wise...in general I listen to him. Is he building your sump? I'd love to have a LifeReef sump. DROOL

BTW - i have a 50g + sump. I don't drive my reactor with the return.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I dunno if this helps you decide but the mag5 @ 3' of rise (head pressure loss) equates to about 375gph and less if you use 90 degree elbows; @ 4' you drop down to about 300gph

A mag 7 @ 3' = 500gph and @ 4' = 475gph

A 1" overflow is rated for 600gph usually.

If you go with his recommendation for gph the only thing that I "may" reconsider is going with a pump that is less likely to add heat to your system like an eheim, waterblaster or quiet-one equivalent. In a small system, mags can sometimes become a factor. I almost never had to run heaters on any system with a mag pump but I always had to run chillers. All of those other pumps will also prove to be more energy efficient.

Best of luck.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
So I'm going with a mag 5, I couldn't cope with all the calculations. (rolls eyes)
The sump is being built this week.
@Jedi no it's not a lifereef sump, custom king is building it for me. Will post pics on my thread when it's here. I need to get a big 20G drum to make salt water. oh joy.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: