RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Females, with no other fish around to compete with the fish can become dominant.

The only thing that stops a clown from turning female is the presence of a large clown or of course if they are juvenile.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So my question is, lets say a clownfish grew up alone in a 20g tank and reaches adulthood (>3 inches) but has never seen another clown, is that fish female or male?

thanks

As mentioned above, it would be a female - which is why it is always suggested that if you are adding an additional clown to a tank with a single clown in it - the new addition should be smaller in size than the original fish. The added fish will become a male.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
tagging along but have a slight variation.

i had a bigger black&white (3 1/2" female?) and a smaller onyx (2 1/2" male?). they swam together and at times shared a frogspawn colony during the day but normally each would sleep in separate colonies at different locations at night. the black&white was traded away about 2 months ago.

is the onyx likely a female now since the bigger one is gone?
if i were to get another clown, should i get a bigger one or a smaller one than the onyx?
and which one will become male and which will become female?
can a male(the onyx...when the bigger b&w was around) change to female(now...since the absence of the b&w) and then change back to male(if i get a bigger one)?
... and vice versa?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0

i had a bigger black&white (3 1/2" female?) and a smaller onyx (2 1/2" male?). they swam together and at times shared a frogspawn colony during the day but normally each would sleep in separate colonies at different locations at night. the black&white was traded away about 2 months ago.

if i were to get another clown, should i get a bigger one or a smaller one than the onyx?
can a male(the onyx...when the bigger b&w was around) change to female(now...since the absence of the b&w) and then change back to male(if i get a bigger one)?
... and vice versa?

Tom, Your onyx has most likely NOT made the change to female yet (it has only been 2 months). You can add another smaller male and yours should change to female, or it will change on its own after a few more months. There is no guarantee that your clown will not fight, chase, kill, etc the new addition.

Males change to females (the dominant fish will become the female (female carries eggs so bigger is better as more room for eggs). I have heard of a female changing to male, but that may have been just a downplay of colors to avoid fighting with another female in the tank....so, to answer your question. Get a small male and most likely your onyx will change to female.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
thanks jcdeng and rookie07. i will look for a smaller clown if/when i find another rod's onyx.....or perhaps a blacker ice like rookie's.

thirty5....thanks for nothing!!! you better watch your back next time you're roaming around home depot, thirty6 said he'll lend me his taser.....with an extra battery pack to boost up the charge..:Yikes::D

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
:lol_large

... and vice versa?

what the...?

I think i'm crosseyed for life now :smash:

Tom,
I am going to tase you for confusing the hell out of me :)

+1

I think Rookie is fluent in the language of Gibberish. The more I read it the more I get confused =)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
A clownfish is neither male or female until a sex is needed. Your fish will become a female if you add another less dominant fish which will become a male. A male can become a female but a female cannot become a male.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: