Buck0land

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Yes your onyx is a female or is on its way. I would get a smaller clown if your adding it to your tank.

When a clown becomes a female it will not change back to a male.

tagging along but have a slight variation.

i had a bigger black&white (3 1/2" female?) and a smaller onyx (2 1/2" male?). they swam together and at times shared a frogspawn colony during the day but normally each would sleep in separate colonies at different locations at night. the black&white was traded away about 2 months ago.

is the onyx likely a female now since the bigger one is gone?
if i were to get another clown, should i get a bigger one or a smaller one than the onyx?
and which one will become male and which will become female?
can a male(the onyx...when the bigger b&w was around) change to female(now...since the absence of the b&w) and then change back to male(if i get a bigger one)?
... and vice versa?

zeroblake07

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
help with Black ocellaris clownfish..!!

hello everyone..!! i have a question about a black ocellaris clownfish ,
i been watching than everytime than i just turn off the aquarium lights this fish start to lose his color and he stays in the bottom of my aquarium, i'm really new in this hobby , and i have an 5 gallons ecoxotic acuarium , is my 1st saltwater aquarium, and every 2 - 3 time a week check the parameters , ammo 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 and ph 8.0 to 8.2 , right now i have a couples of corals such like a small frogspawn, and a couple frag of zoanthids . and thoes are looking really great..!! i try to make often water changes because i know i have a small aquarium and needs more attention than big aquariums.

but my clownfish eats perfectly and when the lights are on he swim around it , and looks happy, but i don't know why everytime than i just turn off the lights he lost the color.. please any one could help me to understand what is going on..!! thank you everyone ..!!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
hello everyone..!! i have a question about a black ocellaris clownfish ,
i been watching than everytime than i just turn off the aquarium lights this fish start to lose his color and he stays in the bottom of my aquarium, i'm really new in this hobby , and i have an 5 gallons ecoxotic acuarium , is my 1st saltwater aquarium, and every 2 - 3 time a week check the parameters , ammo 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 and ph 8.0 to 8.2 , right now i have a couples of corals such like a small frogspawn, and a couple frag of zoanthids . and thoes are looking really great..!! i try to make often water changes because i know i have a small aquarium and needs more attention than big aquariums.

but my clownfish eats perfectly and when the lights are on he swim around it , and looks happy, but i don't know why everytime than i just turn off the lights he lost the color.. please any one could help me to understand what is going on..!! thank you everyone ..!!

Without going into a lengthy diatribe about color and light I'll just say it very simply, in order to see color, you need light. If your lights are off you shouldn't see any color. Go deeper into the ocean, where light doesn't penetrate and you won't see any color, even at high noon when the sun is brightest.

Russ

zeroblake07

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without going into a lengthy diatribe about color and light I'll just say it very simply, in order to see color, you need light. If your lights are off you shouldn't see any color. Go deeper into the ocean, where light doesn't penetrate and you won't see any color, even at high noon when the sun is brightest.

Russ

I know what you mean, but what i want to know why my clownfish do that when i turn off the light, when i just get this fish before than i have to acclimate him his color was like brown not black as usual , and i knew that because hi was stressing by the change of his tank to my tank but now when i turn of the light he goes like bown tint on his skin i want to know is thats good or not, because i been watching him and he looks like sick when the light is off, he just stay in the sand bed like lying .. And i dont know is that to be good or bad. But when i just turn on he little by little change his color to black again!! I hope you understand me thank you for your answer have a great day..

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Does he have any white spots on him? If so it can be ich it attacks the fish at night. During the day when the lights are on. The ich usually falls off. So I suggest using a flashlight and check the clown for white spots. If it has them you will need to treat it in a hospital tank with meds. Good Luck

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Good thread I was wondering the same thing. Sorry to go OT, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a single question and this was directed towards clown experts.

I just picked up a pair of snow onyx for my 10 gal cube. I'm running an mp10 on the lowest setting. They seem to be swimming fast and always against the current in front of the power head, almost like they are fighting it. They have only been in the tank over night so I will keep monitoring but what do you guys think? They are healthy as I have watched them in the LFS for Atleast a month together

Thanks fellas

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
My clowns did the same thing for a few days. They would swim in front of the MP40 and look like they were swimming a marathon to stay in one spot.

Then they went and swam right in the flow from the return pump.

Now they move more around the tank.

zeroblake07

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he have any white spots on him? If so it can be ich it attacks the fish at night. During the day when the lights are on. The ich usually falls off. So I suggest using a flashlight and check the clown for white spots. If it has them you will need to treat it in a hospital tank with meds. Good Luck

Thanks for your answer..!!

I been thinking than probably he has that ich but doesn't appears nothing about white spots , under the flashlight . Any other problem than could affect this fish??

Have a great day

zeroblake07

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow is good !! And is automatic i can't do it , slow or harder and temperature is good between 76 to 78 f , and i just add an another clown just in case if this one feels alone!! But he is been the same , i don't understand whats happend , he eats pretty well

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: