reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Hey guys, so since taking my fish out of my DT and putting them into the HT, ive begun noticing some more detail in my tank, or it could be that theres less predation going on.

anyway, the sides of my tank are totally covered in copepods and clusters of snail eggs. the other day im looking at the sand bed for the tubes from the nassarius snails which always stick out, and i notice black specs all over the sand. have no idea what it is, so i decided to take out the good old microscope. I was hoping it was more copepods, but it doesnt seem like it. I tried taking some pics through the lens with my phone camera, but im not too sure they're good enough to help ID with... but here they are

Attachments

• IMG_20150804_242600781_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150804_242600781_HDR.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
so the total right is a baby amphipod it seems like. second from right is a copepod, and the other 3 things are the little black things in question. they almost look like little clams with some green/yellow and black matter inside them.
they also each have about 3-5 little filament hairs coming off of them.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
anyone have any idea what these are? I've never seen them before in such quantities which is worrying me. they are probably at a density of about 20-30/sq.in. on the substrate.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
they are about the size of a small sand grain. I have a crushed coral base in my tank now and i see them crawling on the shells. I cant measure them in mm... its less than 1.

to me it looks like the dark areas are under the shell... it seems to me like its some sort of mite with a shell over his body, but i dont know what that would be.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Well I got the answer... I emailed a marine ecologist from my undergrad and she said its an ostracod aka clam shrimp. I have no idea how they got into my tank, or how long they've been there, but i just noticed them, and from what i can read, they are pretty indifferent.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: