Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have my Edge up and running for about a month. Tank cycled and I currently have the following:

50 W Marineland Heater
1 Koralia Nano 240gph powerhead
2 MR16 LED lights - 6500 k, 240 lumen, bright white
Custom DIY LED setup with 3 strips day white SME LEDS and 3 strips actinic blue SME Leds

7lbs Live rock
10lbs live sand

1 clownfish
3 hermit crabs
3 snails

I would love to add some color to the tank but have a few questions:

1. Is it too early to add corals?
2. If it is not, then what corals should I start with. I don't really have experience with corals so I am looking for something that is hardy and easy to take care of in terms of feeding etc.

Thanks for any help.

Edge

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
WEll for corals I don't see why not.
For a tank that small. I would start with come zoas
I just got one a few months ago too

So far I have asst zoas, mushrooms, some tiny gorgonians
And just put in frogspawn.
Well see where that gets me.

Just got an led system. Have a bangaii in there with snails and 2 hermits
For 4 months.
So far it's all good

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
How many watts are the MR16 total? Are there lens on the MR16? If not, you can add only very low light demand ones. If they are mounted with 60 degree, then it will OK for others too.

I bought these MR16 except it is the day white and not the warm white.
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=537

I am not sure how much watts they produce but it says it is 240 lumens, 6500K with 130 degree viewing angle. I made my own little fixture with LED strips to compliment these bulbs. I bought the LED strips from Kingda lighting.

Edge

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I bought these MR16 except it is the day white and not the warm white.
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=537

I am not sure how much watts they produce but it says it is 240 lumens, 6500K with 130 degree viewing angle. I made my own little fixture with LED strips to compliment these bulbs. I bought the LED strips from Kingda lighting.

Edge

They are around 2.5W to 3 watts, without lens you PAR is very low in your tank right now and probably able to support only mushroom and xenia. I think even kenya demand more than what the 2 MR16 can give. I did calculate how much light your strips are adding though.

Anyway, you should sell the bulbs ASAP before they are rusted from salt spray unless you can splash guard it. You can search the forum, there is another guy DIY his edge with your bulb and rusted in no time. If I found the pic, I will show you. You can do a search. I think he said he made a splash guard of something afterwards. The halogen light is terrible but the salt spray from the power filter is even more a curse to the Edge. The tank is elegant if you solved the lighting issue.

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Thanks..

I made a custom cover for the opening in the top of the Edge using plexi glass. It sits between the bulbs and the water level..So far it seems that it is protecting the bulbs.
I was hoping the led strips would give me more options for corals. I do like Xenias so that would be a good start for I think..
I will do some research on them before I make the plunge.. :)

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Also I found making 2 mountains under the lights helps
Things u think need light at the top. Mushrooms at the bottom
Xenia I like. Everyone always is wowed by the pulsing. Best bang for the buck.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
As long as your water parameters are Ok, you can start adding corals little by little.
Do you dose anything in your tank for calcium and other minerals? What salt are you using?
Once your coral stocks are up they will deplete fast and dosing will be needed.
I dose seachem fusion 2 part every 2-3 days and that seems to do the trick in my tank.
You can start of with softies, mushrooms, zoanthids... xenias are good. I do have them in my tank. Some consider it a pest though.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
As long as your water parameters are Ok, you can start adding corals little by little.
Do you dose anything in your tank for calcium and other minerals? What salt are you using?

Hey Jeff,

My water parameters are good:

Salt level - 1.024
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - .025
PH - 8.2
Temperature - heater set at 79 but thermometer reads 80 -82 - It's a cheap digital thermometer, don't really trust it too much :)

I am using Red Sea Salt. Doing 1 gallon water change once a week.

I have never dosed anything in the tank. I will purchase the seachem that you are using. I would like to just start off small with one or two frags. Probably some zoas and xenias.
I will also need to buy more tests kits to test for calcium, iodine..etc..

Anything you can recommend I need to purchase, please let me know.

Do you feed anything else to your corals?

Edge

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Update:

Yesterday I visited kissena aquariums and bought zoas, torch coral and ricordeas. They were nice pieces and the prices were reasonable.

Today, I visited Wingo (Aqua Pro Builders) and I must say I was very impressed. Not only with the amazing setups he has but also the vast amount of knowledge he has of both freshwater and saltwater livestock as well as the ecosystem to which they belong.

I was lucky to get some Xenias and more zoas from one of his many tanks. I just put them into my tank and awaiting for them to open up and add some beautiful color to it.

Pics to come soon after corals get accustomed to the tank.

Thanks Wingo!

Edge

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: