Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Right before the swap I visited Chicago's public aquarium and an idea came to my mind. I would like to do sort of picture thread of aquariums I visited, starting with Shedd Aquarium. I hope I will be able to go visit Atlantis Marine World soon and take some pics for those who had never been there. I need to hook up with someone who works there to do that photo trip, can anyone help with that? I fell like I need to contact Randy for this one:)
Anyway, Shedd Aquarium is located on the museum campus right in the downtown area of Chicago. It was my second visit to that great aquarium and but first photo oriented.
The city itself is great, one of the nicest, cleanest cities I've ever been too and the downtown area is an architectural masterpiece. I strongly recommend you to visit Chicago when you'll have time, you won't be disappointed. It has Manhattan feel minus the crowd,dirt and smell:)

This is how the aquarium looks from the outside:

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Panorama of the city and Michigan lake from the steps leading to aquarium's entrance

DSC_0024.jpg

The Amazon rising exhibition is the main attraction at Shedd Aquarium. There are a couple of nicely aquascaped tanks with piranhas, electric eels, freshwater stingrays and huge schools of various tetras. There is one tank with over a thousand neon tetras, it looks incredible.
One thing worth mentioning: taking pictures in Shedd is not an easy task as most of exhibits are very dark and some of the tanks are sun lit only. And they don't allow flash photography.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Catfish and freshwater puffers tank

DSC_0033.jpg

Stingrays

DSC_0038.jpg

But the coolest thing about the Amazon exhibit are beautiful terrariums that hey have there. I always wanted to have one and those in Shedd are a great inspiration.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Next big thing is a Caribbean reef tank, but there were huge crowd in front of it and the lighting is inadequate to shoot without an external flash unit. Here's two snapshots I managed to grab

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

There are few huge tanks featuring fishes and invertebrates from local and around the world waters:

Temperate invertebrate tank

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

Knifefish tank

DSC_0089.jpg

African cichlids

DSC_0097.jpg

Lobster exhibit

DSC_0148.jpg

Flowerhorn cichlid

DSC_0108.jpg

Spider crab

DSC_0124.jpg

And two coolest animals in the whole aquarium IMO. First it's a HUGE blenny from Pacific. The one in the tank is over 2' long.

DSC_0126.jpg

And the star of Shedd Aquarium- a red pacific octopus. I couldn't get any better picture of him because of the annoying light of the exhibit behind me. Anyway, this creature is so fascinating to watch I spend over half an hour starring at the tank. Look how many toys he has in the tank!

DSC_0128.jpg

A shallow pool exhibition

DSC_0159.jpg

Otters and penguins area. There were no otters when I was there though, I guess they were all sleeping:)

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Shark tank is the biggest aquarium, but it's so dark it's missing the point IMO. There are some HUGE fish in there, Tiger sharks and sawfish and many others

DSC_0313.jpg

Shedd aquarium has a big reef section too so reefers won't be dissapointed.

Morray eels pics

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

Seahorses exhibits

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
The reef tanks of Sheed aquarium

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

Fish of the reef tanks

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

Corals and anemones

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

Coral propagation area

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Highly overpriced gift shop:)

DSC_0339.jpg

I hope you liked this photo journey. I highly recommend you visiting Chicago and Shedd Aquarium if you're gonna be around. Next mission ATLANTIS:)

Oh, one last pic.Taken on the rest area on I-80. No comments:)

DSC_0344.jpg

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sweet pics. resized, some could become pic of the week!

I'd live in Chicago in a NY-minute if it wasn't so cold there. 2' of snow and -10? No thanks.

I was at Baltimore about 8 years ago, and wasn't impressed. Maybe they've put some money into it and it's gotten better.

Public aquariums I recommend:
Georgia. Duh. Just go. While you're in Atlanta go to the Vortex for a burger.
Boston (New England Aq.) Great aquarium.
Dallas. Yeah, Texas. Really big aquarium. (Isn't everything bigger in Texas?)
Monterey Bay Aquarium in Cali. Beautiful.
Birch aquarium in San Diego. By far the best reef tanks I've ever seen in an aquarium. The whole trip through might take you an hour. That may be wrong if you sit and watch one of the really nice display tanks.

Cheers,
B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: