• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

M

MikeSF

Oh one final bit of advice I didn't see in the previous 8 pages (although I'll admit I was skimming quite fast).

Assume everything is infected with your worst nightmare. You have an acro paradise, assume AEFW are going to be on the frags you get, monitporas? There are nudibranchs on every piece you get! Start a regular regime of dips, inspections, and/or quarantine procedures or you can really ruin a good tank and blame it on the program rather than your laziness of wanting to see your frags in the tank and mounted ASAP :)

meschaefer

One to Ignore
I have a day away, and I return to a 9 page thread! Interesting idea, I think it could work here. I also think that it will work best the more informal it is. I think at most you need a separate forum, if even that.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
selling is one thing but giving away for free is another. Like a new member can come on and get all the frags he needs to start an entirely new tank. Even things s/he would have gone to a store to get.
I can see their fragging stuff sales go up though.

If the program is working properly no one person is going to be getting large numbers of frags at one time. In order to do so, they'd have to be trolling the DBTC forum and trying to dib every thread posted--- this would be uber uncool and IMO lead to them not being chosen for any of the DBTC offerings-- not by the mods but by the very folks participating in the spirit of the program. This is a program about giving not receiving and that is going to take some time for people to understand. If vendors were smart ( and many of them are) they would be DBTCing frags too. I know who I'd prefer to give my $$$ to when I need to buy something.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
I read the article and thought it was a good idea. At the swap i received a frag from sanjay that he gave to me simply because he thought it might not do well. with sanjay's permission I would have no problem with paying this forward when it is able to be fragged. by the way sanjay it seems to be doing fine,thanks

Mr. Ugly

Bay Area Reefers
If the program is working properly no one person is going to be getting large numbers of frags at one time. In order to do so, they'd have to be trolling the DBTC forum and trying to dib every thread posted--- this would be uber uncool and IMO lead to them not being chosen for any of the DBTC offerings-- not by the mods but by the very folks participating in the spirit of the program. This is a program about giving not receiving and that is going to take some time for people to understand. If vendors were smart ( and many of them are) they would be DBTCing frags too. I know who I'd prefer to give my $$$ to when I need to buy something.

Yep yep yep. You got it! :)

And nobody says that you can't involve your sponsors in the program either. They're your friends too aren't they?

And wouldn't you want to have a sponsor that really supported captive propagation? That's one of the things we look for at BAR. Chopshopper or propagator?

All of this comes from our focus on our mission statement of encouraging education and appreciation of ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

Another thing that didn't get much mention yet is that DBTC can be a great forum for reefers to share tips and experiences with caring for a particular coral or critter.

:)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Pay It Forward

Ok As The Frenzy Begin's. I Understand Everyone Being Excited About The New Program For Us That Might Begin, But Really Think Before People Just Jump Into It, That A Few Basic Ground Rules Need To Be Established. Some Type Of Way To Figure Out How We Are Goingto Do It And Be Fair In The Same Since, How Often Is The Same Person Going To Get More Frags In The Pay It Forward. How We Can Spread It Out To Benifit The Over All. I Post A Piece And 20 People Jump Up Wanting It, Has To Be A Fair Way To Pass Thing's Along. Maybe Making A List Of People That Want To Be Part Of The Program, Making Sure The People Involve Truelly Understand What This Is All About { Not Just A Way For People To Get Free Frags } I Am All For This Program, As Many That I Have Dealt With And Deal With Know How Generous I Am About Giving Stuff Away Or Throwing Extra's In Myself. Even If Maybe We Do It Like A Lotto Type Of Situation, With Names, Hate To See The Same Click's Being The One's Trying To Pass Thing's Amongst Themselve's. Realize That You May Pass A $100 Frag Along And Not Expect Anything Back When Doing So. Or Only End Up Down The Road Getting A $20 Frag To Pass Along Yourself. I Really Want To Be Part Of This Program But Hope To See A Platform Laid Down Before It Starts. I Can Already See People Posting Stuff And A Line Try To Jump On It Because Hey It's A Piece They Dont Have. And People Being Pissed Cause They Didnt Get It

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rick, it has been repeated ad nauseum, that general rules do not need to be set. The person offering the livestock, sets the "rules" for that livestock. If potential receivers cannot accept those rules, they should move on.

BTW, thread merged with current DBTC thread.

adamrose

++ROCKFISH!++
I actually had an idea like this a few months ago - it's really great to see that our community can get something together like this. Spreading that spirit of Altruism (or at least philanthropy).

I'm going to look into my tank and see what i can prop that other people would want....

meschaefer

One to Ignore
I like the rules that you set.... very well writen... I think these type of guild like will make this work well.

Thanks. I think they are pretty simple, straight forward. I have very little in my tank to frag at the moment as I have only recently started restocking after I lost my tank to a fire, but I figured I could find something.

Most importantly I want this to get off the ground, it will do so by doing and not just talking.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: