edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
it doesn't have to be a digital aquatics probe. you can order a da probe on line.
i don't think its worth switching over a ph probe, unless you have other reasons.

Justcause0_1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't want to switch because of the probe...the lite only allows 4 modules and I currently have 2 pc4's and a sl1 so I a almost tapped out.so I wanted to switch to the elite which would cost-$350 for the head unit +$40 for the pH probe,so I was wondering since I am spending anyway if it it was better to switch to apex or stick to reefkeeper.thanks

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I did tons of research on controllers and actually took about 2 years to make my decision. Neptune's track record of reliability and customer service is far and away better than digital aquatics. It's not even close. I never had any issues with my RKL but the apex Jr I had and lite I own now are just better made. The power strip is made of metal (doesn't sound like a big deal but it is.. much safer) and on almost every site out there, the Apex is recommened 9 times out of 10 (or more).

Some of the programming is above my ability and patience level but the most important part of a controller is the reliability. If something breaks you're in serious trouble. There's many more stories of issues with DA products (that I've seen) than with Neptune.

Plus, they're quicker with updates, have more features, modules, functionality, etc.

Your milage may very but that's what I feel. If you want to go with digital aquatics, by all means go for it. It's not up to me or anyone else (other than the companies) to convince you either way. At the end of the day you'll have to do the research and make the decision.

Justcause0_1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks I am currently doing some research.i have rkl and want to upgrade, right now trying to see if it makes sense to spend the money to upgrade what I have or switch.Thanks for your input, I always like to get opinions from people who have had both.Thank you again.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Ive had both..it honestly comes down to your use .. for more basic use like timers basic temp control ph reading stay with your DA.

now if your going to dim lights,change pumps on day and night hrs,turn this on and off when you open/close the door of your stand ...want to check up on your tank while at work or on vacation. want to get notified if temp drops-ph drops or increases go with APEX.

to me DA is more of a basic controller for people who want some control.
the APEX has more functions but be prepared to sit there and study.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have an Apex and would recommend one to anyone thats looking for a controller.
In your case since you already have another controller then I would say it really depens on what you plan to use it for and how you want to use it. And I'm referring to remote and network monitoring in the last part.
If on the other hand, you want to switch and dont mind the cost, then now is the perfect time to switch.

DeeFromBrooklyn

Reef Nut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex All the Way

I have to say go Apex all the way. Not only are they constantly updating the features and adding functionality but they have quickly out grown Reef Keeper as the premier in the industry. Most lighting, pumps and even feeders now are made to work with the Apex. I'm about to add the feeder to my system.

DFB Aquatics

Dee From Brooklyn
:fish:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: