b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I know this is old. I was recently at a friends house. What I saw I couldn't beleive. He had 2 regal Angels in his tank. I had read that these are solitary fish. They might of been a pair but I would find that hard to believe in a 300 gallon. Anyone ever seen this or even had success in there tank?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Everybody always thinks if two fish are together they must be a pair, it's a good selling point, but with some fish it's hard to tell the difference between male and female. So, they mayn't be a pair but they may just get along with each other. Also, the size of the tank, 300gal, does help. I would think if you went even larger, say 1,000gals, you could probably even keep a bunch of them together.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
A 1000 gallon tank. Yeah when I start playing the lotto and win. I still find it amazing as it was something I never saw before. Not even in the lfs. I have seen them real small and they had them in different tanks with different fish. None together

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think most LFS separate them because they don't want to take a chance that they will fight or that one will be bullied and possibly die. Larger tanks sizes let you do things that you most likely couldn't in a smaller tank. Then again I think most people would be happy just to have one Regal doing good, let alone finding two at that same time.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I completely agree with your last statement. Getting 1 to eat is hard enough. But do you think it's possible that if you have 2 and they are getting along that if 1 sees the other eating they will both eat?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I was always very hesitant to put an angel in my reef until I met and saw John's presentation at a LIRA meeting a few years ago. I went out and got my Regal soon after. Just remember that clams, softies and some LPS may be on the menu depending on the species and even the individual.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Ok. Back to original post. Someone give me a good recipe to make to feed my fish. And a idea of what it will cost to make and how long it should last say feeding every other day. I wanna try to put together a feeding formula/schedule. Something different each time I feed. Nobody including fish wanna eat the same thing all the time do they?

Maxx

Housemonkey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept two Regals long term.
First was a Red Sea Regal that I lost after a year in my system. My H.magnifica anemone wandered into a powerhead and shredded its tentacles, releasing nematocysts all through the tank. Killed all the fish except the clowns.

Located a blue chested Indo/Pacific Regal from Vanuatu the next month on Diver's Den and purchased it. Had it for 7.5 years before selling it to a local reefer because I was downsizing tanks.

Here is a picture of it from March of last year:
IMG_3407-1.jpg

In my experiance, Regal's are not smart fish.
It took both of mine about a year to get fully acclimated to being in my tank and begin eating aggressively.

QT where you can monitor them for disease and get them acclimated to eating in captivity is huge in their success.

I had Tomini tangs in with both of them, and a tiny purple (the size of a quarter with fins extended, the Regal was about 3 inches long at that time) in with the second one. Other fish which are not aggressive and are not shy eaters will "show" Regal angels and other timid fish what is "food" in captivity.

Once they get the hang of it, they become fairly hardy eaters and are willing to wade in and fight for their share of the food. Initially, my second Regal was bullied by a small virgate rabbit fish.....pretty much the most meek and cowardly fish I've ever kept....I wound up removing the rabbit and the Regal got more comfortable as time went on.

Did not have any issues with them eating zoas initially. The Indo/Pacific (Blue Chest) Regal suddenly decided at the 3.5 year mark that zoas and clams were on the menu....I figured this out after a very expensive frag of Spiderman Zoa's disappeared roughly 60 seconds after introducing them to my tank.

I was no longer able to keep clams or zoas in the tank after that.

It didnt bother anything else in the tank and would eat flake, pellets, nori, steamed brocolli, uncooked scallop and shrimp as well, mysis, mysids, pretty much whatever I put in the tank.

I started with mysis and scallop which I tore into thin strips. Scallop smells strongly and it's rare that a fish wont at least go after it. I've heard of people trying little neck clams on the half shell before, but I never tried that because I didnt want to "teach" my fish that clams were a food source. Didnt work out that way....but that was the goal.

Try rubberbanding strips of scallop and nori to a rock....angels like to pick/nibble. If your dither fish know how to eat from a nori clip, try that too.....it will "teach" the Regal that much faster. It will also help if the dither fish is happy eating from the water column.....if you can get the Regal eating anything at all, odds are much better you will be able to get it onto other food sources as time goes on.

Last edited:

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i always wanted a majestic angel but was afraid that he would eat my corals its been a fish that i always liked so i bought a small one about a year ago well he just about tripled in size and then he started to chew on my toadstool nedless to say the toad is just about gone with bite marks all over it so now i am just waiting to see what else he might go after as long as he does not mess with my sps in ok with him eating all my zenia and other softies

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: