• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

5 Female Capelin for $1.99 at 99 Ranch Market
photo-4-1.jpg

When these are sliced open they are chock full of eggs. Really great food for finicky anthias, chromis, firefish, wrasses, etc. I wouldn't be able to keep Purple Queen Anthias alive without these! Most folks are probably more familiar with the eggs as "masago", the little orange eggs on sushi. Masago is pretty easy to find but it's seasoned and dyed making it a questionable fish food, even if rinsed. Problem is it's tough to find the eggs unseasoned and undyed.

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Looks like I won't have too many problems tracking down in Japan, which is nice. :wink:

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":zzjxbsse said:
Looks like I won't have too many problems tracking down in Japan, which is nice. :wink:

The above is from Canada :)

A

Anonymous

GreshamH":17gamkv0 said:
The Escaped Ape":17gamkv0 said:

The above is from Canada :)

Do you see the Japanese written all over it? :P

I assume it's primarily for export to Japan.

A

Anonymous

Maybe or maybe its aimed at all the Asian markets in the US, huge chunks of the population (at least where I live) who care not to learn English, or are just more comfortable with their native tongue so much they'd rather see that.

That said, I do like the law that states that certain foods (most of them) need a country of origin designation on it. If it was made for export to Japan I don't know if they have any such law.

A

Anonymous

Exactly what Mike just said. I doubt much of it heads to Asia, they have closer and better sources ;)

I should keep my mouth shut though as I can spill beans and get in trouble at work :lol:

A

Anonymous

Well this thread has taken an interesting turn... :P

Are the characters specifically Japanese, or is it written in a way that Chinese/Taiwanese readers could understand?

For what it's worth capelin eggs will keep for at least a week once they are thawed and soaked in saltwater. I rinse them in tap water to remove the blood vessels and membrane that surrounds them and then add a bit of saltwater and refrigerate. :)

A

Anonymous

So what do you do with the rest of the fish after harvesting your eggs?

I know a local who used to make his own fish chow by throwing in just about every seacreature in a blender and hitting puree :D

A

Anonymous

sfsuphysics":21h1xblh said:
So what do you do with the rest of the fish after harvesting your eggs?

I know a local who used to make his own fish chow by throwing in just about every seacreature in a blender and hitting puree :D

Great question! You can use it for whatever I suppose. Chop it up very fine and feed it to small fish, or cut filets and feed it to lionfish, anglers, eels, etc. No reason you couldn't add it to a blended up coral diet too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":ncsch5we said:
Exactly what Mike just said. I doubt much of it heads to Asia, they have closer and better sources ;)

I doubt there'd be much point writing it in Japanese if it weren't sent there. You'd be surprised how far afield fish in Japan comes from. When I went to the tuna auction at Tsukiji, there was one fish which had been caught off the coast of Ireland. Also I've seen preserved herring roe which is the produce of the US and fresh oysters direct from Washington state.

Matt_":ncsch5we said:
Are the characters specifically Japanese, or is it written in a way that Chinese/Taiwanese readers could understand?

Specifically Japanese. Chinese speakers might be able to read a few of those characters (only two of the characters on the main red area), even though they are quite often not the same form used in China, but a lot of the characters above are Japanese letters, not Japanese versions of Chinese characters.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd never believe how many Japanese live here in the states :lol:

I highly doubt it would go from Canada>US>Japan. Japan typically has better feelers then that. They'd simply go the the source ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":2kd3wv0w said:

I highly doubt it would go from Canada>US>Japan. Japan typically has better feelers then that. They'd simply go the the source ;)

That's not what I was implying. :wink:

I'm not talking about the exact pack Matt bought. Ever considered that the packing company might find it easiest to print bilingual labels that will work in more than one of their markets?

And yes, I know just how many Japanese/nisei live in the States.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":2pnpbvk9 said:
GreshamH":2pnpbvk9 said:

That's not what I was implying. :wink:

I'm not talking about the exact pack Matt bought. Ever considered that the packing company might find it easiest to print bilingual labels that will work in more than one of their markets?

And yes, I know just how many Japanese/nisei live in the States.

yup but having inside track in the trade IME that is not done, especially in a case like this. Label clearly states it was "imported by" a US company. It would say "exported by" if it was going to Japan, or "imported by" one of their Asian Subsidiaries.

A quick call the PACFO yields a simple answer, no it is not exported in that packaging to Japan! That packaging is for US consumption.

They did say it is exported to Japan though, but via a Subsidiary.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":3kg5axhe said:
I doubt much of it heads to Asia, they have closer and better sources ;)

Eh? Capelin is only found in the North Atlantic. Do you mean a different fish?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":3j9xdtu5 said:
GreshamH":3j9xdtu5 said:
I doubt much of it heads to Asia, they have closer and better sources ;)

Eh? Capelin is only found in the North Atlantic. Do you mean a different fish?

N Atlantic and Artic Ocean ;) Distance may be wrong (closer part) but Iceland is a huge exporter of it.

Edit: Iceland & California have nearly the same distance to Japan. That means this Canadian supply is in fact further away then Iceland... closer was CORRECT!!!! (by air)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresham, it almost sounds like you have been doing some research on the ins and outs of the capelin egg industry. Are you guys releasing a new product soon? :wink: :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":23dylul7 said:
Gresham, it almost sounds like you have been doing some research on the ins and outs of the capelin egg industry. Are you guys releasing a new product soon? :wink: :D

No comment :lol:

GreshamH":23dylul7 said:
I should keep my mouth shut though as I can spill beans and get in trouble at work :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's the only reason you might know the answer. None of your other arguments stood up to much scrutiny. :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: