• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Manhattan Reefs has been looking to do more than 2 events a year for a long time so I asked Josh and got his OK to set something up through MR. I love the MR Frag Swap as much as the next guy but I like real actual trading too. In that vain, I wanted to extend our DBTC thread into real life. The event will be mostly just a place where reefers can come to hang out, have a beer or 2 , just talk reef, trade frags and maybe learn a thing or two. Some of our awesome members have agreed to share their talents (and by talent I mean frags). Dr. Official (H20 or Greg to some of you) has been mulling over donating a frag of his awesome utter chaos zoas (perhaps you can convince him). I know prattreef and Josh both have nice frags to donate to the event. The confirmed classroom experience of the evening will be a DSLR digital photography demo from our very own Marcin (Smoq). We will also have 3 prints of his beautiful and professionally printed macro coral shots (11x14) to 3 lucky winners.

The whole concept of this idea is to just get together and hang out over a beer, so if you do not want to trade or dbtc then you are still more than welcome to come and mingle, you might even walk away with a frag or 2. The additional bonus is to get your coral out there into others tanks without money being involved. The bonuses of this are plenty but mainly it is a good feeling to give. If you ever have a disaster and need a hand, someone might have the same frag you lost. Pay it forward.

Please no personal sales nor vendors at this event unless they are coming strictly as hobbyists with no promotion of their business. If you want to sell stuff you can use the for sale forum or the Spring MR Swap will be in April at Pratt.

Enough babbling, here are the details.

What: An Official Manhattan Reefs DBTC-Frag Swap
When: Saturday, February 12th at 6:30 PM
Where: The Village Pourhouse: 64 3rd Ave on the corner of 11 St in Manhattan. 9In the backroom, just ask for the MR event)
What to bring: A positive attitude and some beer money if you want, MR will provide some snacks. If you have any DBTC frags you would like to give to fellow members you can bring them. If you have some frags you would like to swap with other members the best way to do that would be to post them on the trade thread here http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/92441-member-trade-list-2-12-swap.html
Now you can post what you have and if people are interested you can work it out in PM and arrange to meet at the event.

We will have a small frag tank for some of the DBTC corals and donations (and for Marcin to take pictures of) and we are still working out a system of distributing them but it will more than likely involve some type of random drawing, perhaps by donors first.

-James

Keep an eye on this thread as it will be updated as the date gets closer. Hopefully this will be the start of having more frequent MR events in addition to the two huge swaps we have a year. Poker Nights, member tank viewings, etc etc.

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
What if people bring green button polyps? Or something along those lines? That's not really fair to have put up utter chaos and having a chance of leaving with such a common and drab coral in return.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
does equipment for DBTC count as well? I have equipment I no longer need and would be willing to donate if it's still here come feb12. i'll be on vacation that weekend so someone that's heading there would have to come pick it up.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Jaa, perhaps I was not clear enough. DBTC is not something where you trade, it is something where you pay it forward when the coral given to you is then given to someone else after you have grown it out. If you check the DBTC mission statement you will see that. As far as trading a frag of green button polyps, if you want to donate it cool. If you just want to trade it you would have to find someone on the site who wants your coral and will trade you something you want in return. The utter chaos that Dr. Official is thinking of donating is simply something to sweeten the pot and some lucky member will walk away with it, whether they donated something of equal value or not. It is really just an event to get together and talk coral with frags being exhanged if people want. No money will be used except to buy drinks if you are a drinker. Which leads me to the fact that this event is 21 and over only. Sorry younger reefers, I am sure another event will pop up soon for you :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What if people bring green button polyps? Or something along those lines? That's not really fair to have put up utter chaos and having a chance of leaving with such a common and drab coral in return.
I feel like you might be missing the point... :) I can't speak for anyone else, and I certainly can't make them donate corals, but I believe the concept of DBTC is to give a seed of a successfully growing coral from your tank to someone else, so that they might enjoy it too. And so on.

can i just come to hang out and drink and look at other people's coral???
Hell yeah! That's why I'm going :D

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
sorry if this is a silly question what does DBTC stand for? o found it dont break the chain. I got it now .. great idea btw.

also although I am not likely to make it to manhattan with my crazy scedual. I do have frags I would like to donate. maybe I can send them to someone who can then bring them to the event?

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I was commenting on the part where you wrote about doing a drawing for people to pick the corals and the people that donated would go first. That is not a DBTC but rather a type of swap or raffle. It sounds to me, put in a coral and you will be able to draw a # from a hat and pick another coral since you donated. Maybe I missed something but that's how I read it. And No I don't have green button polyps, I was asking a very valid question on this drawing idea. I assumed DBTC was like what I did with my Sea Hare give it to a member when they are done it goes to another member and so on.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Jaa, I said perhaps, if people think donors should not get first dibs that is fine by me. In my original vision this is not really about the frags as much as it is a time to hang out and have fun. The frags and photo lesson are an added bonus. We could do any member that walks through the door gets a ticket. Then we could raffle off the prints and whatever corals we have and that is that. I think that will be the most fair way. If people want to have trades prearranged that is fine too, I think the approach to this evening should be having fun talking reefs and learning a bit first, if you walk away with a really nice coral or a beginner piece or something in between that should be looked at as a bonus. We will need to figure something out with SPS and noobs to make sure the people who can keep SPS are the only ones who can win sps. We don't want to give a nice coral to someone who can't keep it alive. That can be ironed out.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I was commenting on the part where you wrote about doing a drawing for people to pick the corals and the people that donated would go first. That is not a DBTC but rather a type of swap or raffle. It sounds to me, put in a coral and you will be able to draw a # from a hat and pick another coral since you donated. Maybe I missed something but that's how I read it. And No I don't have green button polyps, I was asking a very valid question on this drawing idea. I assumed DBTC was like what I did with my Sea Hare give it to a member when they are done it goes to another member and so on.

Im sure thats going to change as stated that they were working on a good way to distribute the corals. And yes you read way more into it than it is and are assuming things on a new system/event type that MR is trying to work out. Jaa you need a bit of optimism =) I have full trust in James and the rest of the organizers in their fairness and generosity and how everything will be handled and done in the end.

Im also 110% sure that there will be more than enough coral for anyone attending, and at the end frags will be forced at people because of the generosity of our members like there always is at the MR events.

Also, remember this is a TRUE SWAP event with the bonus of an all out DBTC coral giveaway. And the fact that there will be a beer tap 20 feet away. Start up those threads and start looking for good trades =0) That's right, an actual swap. I peed a little in excitement. I'll most likely be changing my underpants when I actually see swap trade threads popping up.

P.S. For those concerned I'm a large in underpanties.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: