• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

amatuereefer

hey all. i picked up a montipora frag from someone on this board last week and didnt realize it was sps until i after i got it. i only have pc's, so i dont think its going to do well and would like to trade it for something if anyones interested.
dan

A

amatuereefer

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
How can i tell which it is?? It is still a rather small frag, so it is only one layer and I don't know how to tell what it will do as it grows. Also, I was just told that these do OK under PC's and maybe I should just keep it. Any opinions??
Dan

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Monti. are not very bright light loving corals. If you have a decent amount of PC lighing it will be fine. As for telling them apart. Monti. digitata grow in a branching formation. The plating type (capa.) grows like a rose bud .

Peter

C

Crakeur

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
montis will grow under flashlights. Hardy little corals. I have an orange monti dig frag that was buried in xenia and caulerpa and I pruned back the caulerpa and the xenia and, sure enough, the monti is still there, polyps out and growing around the algae and the xenia.

A

amatuereefer

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to keep it and see how it does under my lights, since the concensus seems to be it should be fine. I'm curious though if montiporas have any preference for water flow? Right now, it is getting pretty strong current from my powerhead and I'm trying to figure out if I should move it somewhere else. Thanks for any suggestions.
Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: