• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

I am interested in any odd hitch hicker snails even cone snails. I got a cowrie as a hitch hicker that IU was told was sensitive, but I have had good luck with him. If anyone gets some weird hoitch hicker or knows somone that handles a lot of rock please let me know.

Thanks

D

DJSQETCH

arent cowrie snails really really toxic..if you get stung u could die

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Conus snails are REALLY dangerous. I mean, dangerous as in you can die by handling them even with gloves on of it gets you with it's probiscus.
People have and do die from Conus snails while handling them with scuba diving gloves on, so I would recommend against keeping them.

I do however have a couple of snails I picked off of the rocks in Puerto Rico, the bodies are purple, and they are pretty active. I'd be willing to trade something for them (If I can locate them in my 180Gal). Watcha got?

-Alfred
917-287-5512

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've talked to a few scientists in australia and florida about conus snails. the only ones dangerous to humans are the ones that eat fish. most eat crustations and worms. and as long as you hold them with the stinging apendage away from you you are safe.

the purple snaiuls sound very cool. Howevert I seriously doubt I have anything you would want. I could frag some of the brown and green zoos I got from giovanni for your father. I have 7 types of macro. generally whenever I have a frag it goes to the kindergardeners.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If I can find them, they are yours. Dont worry about a trade, if you ever come across something cool just remember me. ;)

As for the conus snails, the fish eating ones ARE the most dangerous, but people have died from the others. Besides, unless you want to gamble with your life, identifying them can be tricky. Even by holding them from "above", they can still get you with their rather long probiscus.

-Alfred
917-287-5512

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Identifing them is tricky, you basicly asume they are all piscavores. if there syphon can't touch you they can't shot you. I would set up a tank and leave it there for good. I don't want a snail that will be eating all my clean up crew. best case scenario it eats all my worms. if no tit eats my fish or all my clean up crew.

A piscavore would be the easiest to keep because I could feed it guppies. in my refugium and the snail poop would be great food for pods.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: