oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I had cyano and did 4 days of all lights out. It went away and didn't come back. That was over 6 months ago.
It's very important to ensure your skimmer is running 100% during this time to export the die off. And an ATO is critical for this step. Also, a large water change afterwards is ideal.
If your tank is by a window or gets any sun-light during the day, then it would be best to wrap the tank with newspaper.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I actually did cover the tank from getting natural sunlight. I think I needed the 4th day to get rid of all the cyano. I still had a few tiny patches and they have been growing back. I honestly don't feel comfortable doing 4 days with all my SPS. I saw some color fading after 3 days and that's about the most level of stress that I want to see.
At the very least I have a major reduction of cyano. It's growing but not in big sheets like before. In time I am confident that bacteria growth will eliminate it. The SPS don't mind at all. It only becomes a PITA when my zoa start getting covered :/

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I'm starting to see some cyano on my sand also.. I kinda been battling it for 5 months now, nothing bad, but my sand is just not super white like it used to be. I dont get it anywhere else, such as my rock/coral, just on my sand. Next time I'm home Im gona do a 3-4 day blackout. I agree with you on doing natural ways to get rid of it, so I spent about $80 and got a large clean up crew. Its working so far. If I were you, I'd do the same. Get a bunch of hermits/snails that eat cyano. Go overboard on it to get rid of it quicker!! Whenever I get bubble algae, i buy 5-6 Emerald crabs in my 90gallon and its gone in a week, so hopefully it works the same with the cyano.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Cyano is 100% gone. It just got up and left. The Special Blend bacteria probably started taking effect. I was just about on the 5th week mark. Growth has taken off as well:scratchch

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
When I transfer my 3 year old mostly SPS 30gallon cube into a 120 in the next two weeks I'm sure this will happen shortly after. Im also adding 50ish lbs of cured pukani as well so I think your right, its going to take time for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Now I will have a secret weapon in my pocket just in case. Thanks

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
so what do you believe helped out to kill off the cyano in your tank? Any specific approach i should consider?

I believe the real cure was to allow more bacteria to grow naturally in the system while maintaining good water parameters. The special Blend bacteria always seems to speed things along for me. In my current tank I dose the "maintenance" dose indefinitely.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I believe the real cure was to allow more bacteria to grow naturally in the system while maintaining good water parameters. The special Blend bacteria always seems to speed things along for me. In my current tank I dose the "maintenance" dose indefinitely.

I just try shutting the lights off for 3-4 days and then a 15-20% water change and siphon out as much of the stuff i can.. Thanks for the help

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also has to do with sand bed cyano layers onto the sand bed substrate because of several reasons mainly do to the natural ionic charge of the sand substrate, to break the bond is not an easy bio chemical fix, there has been disagreement in the reef community of the proper course of action it is my opinion that someone will come up with a pretreated substrate that will be able to be electrically charged to solve this problem once and for all

Bacteria have the greatest tendency to stick to hydrophobic services. They are very good at sticking to teflon coated surfaces of medical equipment. I presume cyanobacteria have the same preference. So,charge may not be so important.

Bacteria, including cyanobacteria, secrete a film called extracellular polysaccharide (EPS). This film helps a community of bacteria to form and to capture and channel nutrients around the colony. Bacteria communicate with each other through chemical means in this community. Quorum sensing is the term used for how bacteria "decide". Red slime formation just might be a result of cyanobacteria colony deciding the conditions are right to breakout and aggressively produce mats. If true, inhibiting quorum sensing would be the way to beat the red scourge.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motortrendz, good to see you back on this site :) I was using prodibo on this tank since the beginning but I stopped after cyano started and began using Microbe lift Special Blend. I had good experience with this STINKY bacteria additive, and I know many others that had great results as well. Only problem is it takes around 6 weeks to fully eradicate the cyano (I am 3 weeks into dosing it).

This almost seems to say that a cyanobacteria breakout occurs regardless of these additives, or am I being too cynical?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: