knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
I'll probably answer my own questions by the time I'm done typing this, but just want to get some experienced input.

What is the life of the media/substate in calcium reactor? I'm asking because I recently bought a CR and it still has the media and water in it. Can I rinse out the media and reuse the it? I know it's not a lot $$ to replace it and to play it safe, but I don't want it to go to waste...Also, I have no idea how long the media has been in there because the seller also did not use this for unknown period of time.

On top of that, how do I know when to replace the media whether new or old.

Thanks in advance for your input.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Not knowing how old it is or whats in it...To be safe just dump it and replace it with new...I usually replace mine when it gets within a few inches from the bottom of the chambers. If I have the time I'll rinse out the old in RO/DI water and re-use it, but most times I just dump and replace it.

Swim

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would refresh the reactor and please don't worry about "wasting" the old substrate. The world probably has quadtrillions of cubic tons of the stuff. :)

Since this is used equipment, I would set it up with just tap water and let it run 15 minutes or so to be sure there are no leaks or clogs instead of waiting to find out after it's running on the tank.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Since this is used equipment, I would set it up with just tap water and let it run 15 minutes or so to be sure there are no leaks or clogs instead of waiting to find out after it's running on the tank.

good idea....i did get a leak but that's from me not tightening the lid correctly.....so get familiar with the unit with a trial run.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would refresh the reactor and please don't worry about "wasting" the old substrate. The world probably has quadtrillions of cubic tons of the stuff. :)

excellent point. This is a situation where the possible downside significantly outweighs the possible upside. The media is relatively inexpensive, so you're better off erring on the side of caution. Great idea about testing it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: