derek_686

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is in bold and underlined, the rest is explanation.
I just put in a 2 400gpd RO membrane system in my basement mainly to use for my tank top off and water changes but I also piped in three refrigerators and a few drink fillers throughout my house all ran off of a 30 gallon RO pressure tank. The 30 gallon tank was expensive but I thought it would be necessary to push the water from my basement up two levels and I also liked the idea of having water ready at all times to fill up a water change bucket. I can fill a 10 gallon bucket in under a minute and that refills in an hour!

The RO water tastes acidic to me now and I want to put a remineralization filter on it to improve the taste as well as I read it’s healthier to drink the more alkaline and mineralized water. There are several options but the ones I ordered say they increase ph and alkalinity and add calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium. I am trying to decide if it is completely necessary not to remineralize the water for the aquarium.

I could only find a few discussions on this and the consensus seems to be not to remineralize aquarium water but I haven’t really read anything explaining why.
If I could remineralize the water right after the RO membrane (all water in pressure tank remineralized) then I would have great flow as all piping from pressure tank out is 1/2” at 33psi. Adding remineralization filters to only drinking lines reduces their pipe size, and flow, back down to 1/4” plus I would have to put multiple remineralization filters on for each drinking water line. I also read the lower ph might encourage things leeching from the pipes? I used 1/2 in pex b.

I realize this is a bit of an unusual system, but I wanted this to be a permanently installed, dual purpose system. Any discussion helping me understand the positives and negatives of using remineralized water would be helpful!

Aren’t minerals good for coral growth etc anyway? Are any of those particular minerals bad for anything? I understand using pure water gives you more control over what you add back in, but I don’t personally do a whole lot of advanced things w my aquarium. My aquarium philosophy is setting up an ecosystem that takes care of itself as much as possible.

derek_686

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize I could tee off the RO to different pressure tanks but that is cost prohibitive if I want to maintain the pressure and flow throughout my house and have 10 gallons ready to go at any time for the aquarium. (Which is why I spent the money on the big tank)

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Not answering your question but would love to know which item you ordered for remineralization. My cartridge does raise ph but when we drink this water we feel extremely thirsty. No matter how much of this water we drink we get more and more thirsty. So i stopped using it. I believe they put something to raise the ph. But some other essential minerals are NOT dissolving into the water. I would love to stop wasting 100s of plastic bottles per week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: