• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey, I bought a leather toadstool from petco on Thursday night. It came with two leather pieces. I took it home and put it into my 29 gallon bio cube the little one was doing ok. It was opening up and looking healthy. But the bigger one never looked to good. Looked milky white and had slim coming off of it. Now today when I got home from work the little one looks just like the big one. All white and milky looking. I have been feeding it. What am I doing wrong with these guys? I have shrooms, and a kenya tree and candy cane corals that are doing great. Just the leather isnt doing to good. But then again I bought it from petco and I never saw it open, they just got it in that afternoon so it didnt have time to open there either.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What you describe is very normal for leathers. It is adjusting to your tank and every now & then they 'shed'. They will get slimy looking, sometimes even very shiny..and in a few days it will be back to 'normal'.
Don't worry about it too much and don't blast it with a lot of flow.

It would be helpful if you post a pic ...just in case there is something else going on.

btw..you don't need to feed them anything at all :)

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey, the tank parameters are ok according to the test strips I buy. Everything is the color is supposed to be.

Kathy I really hope your right. I hope its not dying. Its really nice and the last thing I want to do it kill it. I will take a pic of it tomorrow when my lights are on again. thanks so much :)

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really shouldnt be feeding it anything, sarcophyton (leathers) consume what they need through absorbtion, spraying it with food is just coating it with stuff to rot and cause secondary infections, possible necrosis and maybe even opening an avenue for protozoan attack.

here is my advice: dont feed it, increase flow to the local area, leathers need good flow to assist in shedding. dont touch it, poke it, prod it, move it, or other wise disturb it. just increase flow and moniter all of your tank parameters.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
What you describe is very normal for leathers. It is adjusting to your tank and every now & then they 'shed'. They will get slimy looking, sometimes even very shiny..and in a few days it will be back to 'normal'.
Don't worry about it too much and don't blast it with a lot of flow.

It would be helpful if you post a pic ...just in case there is something else going on.

btw..you don't need to feed them anything at all :)

You really shouldnt be feeding it anything, sarcophyton (leathers) consume what they need through absorbtion, spraying it with food is just coating it with stuff to rot and cause secondary infections, possible necrosis and maybe even opening an avenue for protozoan attack.

here is my advice: dont feed it, increase flow to the local area, leathers need good flow to assist in shedding. dont touch it, poke it, prod it, move it, or other wise disturb it. just increase flow and moniter all of your tank parameters.

WHAT THEY SAID!:approve:

russianmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Repetition works - let them be, make sure your water is clean, and don't feed them!

Also, on this site, most people want "hard numbers" when they asked for water parameters (just an FYI). Good luck with your leathers!

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I do have a good test kit with the drops. I just find the strips easy. Are they not good? The drops take a long time to do. But if its better then the strips I will use them. Thanks :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: