Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I had purchased these two pumps last year and had them plugged into the EB4 on my APEX, but it took up two outlets, and with my new tank, I couldn't spare another two so I had to come up with a solution.

I found this little arduino like core called a spark core. The beauty of this core is its tiny and its programmable via WiFi. I'm not very good with programming so I've been getting a bit of help. Currently there is a very simple, down and dirty web interface to set the programming.

The pumps are from aptinstruments.com. These are really good pumps! I read some where that these are the same pumps that BRS uses in the Drew's Dosers. I was hoping to use 12v pumps and found some on ebay, but they are crap! In the end you get what you pay for with peristaltic dosing pumps. Since then I have found some quality 12v pumps that run about $45/ea, but I didn't feel it was necessary to spend more money when I had good pumps in the house. The biggest advantage of the 12v pumps is you can adjust the rate of the pump.

I plan on adding a manual on/off switch for each pump for priming the entire length of tubing as well as two additional ports for using the other two relays.

Here are a few photos.

Attachments

• 41acd413bd_466x500.JPG
    41acd413bd_466x500.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 872
  • 864fbf0183_666x500.JPG
    864fbf0183_666x500.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 868
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 10.30.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 10.30.24 AM.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_5644.JPG
    IMG_5644.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5643.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_5642.jpg
    IMG_5642.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 880

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
My ReefAngel code is probably compatible with your shield and i have routines to calculate the flow rate based on calibration (time+volume) and lets you set the doser by volume rather than seconds. If your interested i can point you to my code thread on the RA forum...

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I probably will consider building and selling but there is a lot to work out. I really wanted to do this for people because dozers are so darn expensive and I feel a lot of it has to do with the product name. This hobby is expensive enough and dosers are such a key element that it would be nice to be able to make them more available and easy to use for people in the hobby.

I'll keep you guys posted on my plans.

Its nice to see so much interest in it, that was my intention.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I've been considering putting some R & D into making a complete 12v version of this as it would be more cost effective and would also give the option of changing the ml/min where as the 115VAC is a fixed 1.5ml/min. In order to do that I need to purchase quite a few new parts so I'm curious how many people would be interested. Any ideas on how to get a feel for that?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
No way to get that info (unless you hire a firm to do research). Asking that question here is pointless bc everyone will say they want one, but when it is time to actually sell them the number will be much smaller.
I think you just need to have faith in your idea/concept and on the other side of that, be able to afford to lose all the money you put into it

If your product is great it will sell.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I lose money every day just owning a fish tank, I'm fine with that. I was just looking to help a few people out. I'll get the parts and if anyone has interest, great. I'm not looking to make money here anyway, the whole hobby is about helping others out.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you had a choice, keeping in mind this is meant to be an economical doser, if you wanted to change the speed of the doser, would you prefer that to be done via software (programming) or via hardware ( a knob - potentiometer)?

Right now I'm finding that due to some lack of hardware development its a bit more expensive and difficult to make this happen via software. It is however quite simple and inexpensive to add a manual PWM controller to adjust the speed of the dosers.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I agree with you about possibly bumping the knob. I'm looking into a recessed trimmer or potentiometer that you would need a small screwdriver to adjust the speed. Also looking into stickers that would go around the hole indicating the dosing amount. The problem with that right now is, these inexpensive motors are not all the same. I do know of places to buy more accurate 12V pumps, but they are about 3-4x the price of the inexpensive ones.

Either way, stay tuned, I'll keep this updated as I go.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: