D

dylanjs

Hi Reefers,
I have a 55g tank of the oddest dimensions. It's only 30" long with a center brace right in the middle.

Most lighting set-ups won't work because at 30 inches, there is only one light...right over the center brace.

I am thinking of cutting out the center brace and DIY-ing two replacements to leave the center of the tank open.

Has anyone done this before? Is this a terrible idea? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
IMO you can go ahead and cut the brace. I don't believe the tank will bow much since it's only a 55g but you should wait an answer from an expert.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Since it is only a 55g, if you are not happy with it and have go throught all the headaches to modify it and still worries that it may not work out, why not get a new tank that fits your need.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
IMO you can go ahead and cut the brace. I don't believe the tank will bow much since it's only a 55g but you should wait an answer from an expert.

IMO this is the 2nd time you gave bad advice today.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...34-how-important-center-support-my-110-a.html

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...eeded-middle-tank.html?highlight=center+brace

dylanjs:
If you plan to stay with that tank, go Euro-Brace as Chris suggested.
The tank will have to be emptied of all the water..

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/11100-euro-bracing.html?highlight=center+brace

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
IMO this is the 2nd time you gave bad advice today.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...34-how-important-center-support-my-110-a.html

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...eeded-middle-tank.html?highlight=center+brace

dylanjs:
If you plan to stay with that tank, go Euro-Brace as Chris suggested.
The tank will have to be emptied of all the water..

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/11100-euro-bracing.html?highlight=center+brace

I didn't give him an advice.......it was only a suggestion and I said to wait for others before he removes the center brace.:DarthVade

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thanks for all the info!

As much as I'd love to upgrade to a larger, standard-size tank, it's not going to happen.

The tank is 30" long x 18" deep x 24" high. Right now I have 2 175W MHs and a 65W actinic P.

I was thinking of upgrading to 2 250W MHs because of the depth. However, I've been emailing with a guy at aquariumobsessed.com and he suggests going with a Soleset unit (one 250W MH and two 24W T5 actinics). If I go with this unit, I will definitely need to cut the center brace out because the MH is right in the middle.

Thoughts? Should I make a unit and leave the brace? Cut the brace and get an all-in-one unit?

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I didn't give him an advice.......it was only a suggestion and I said to wait for others before he removes the center brace.:DarthVade

Advice / Suggestion....same mess.
Well you suggested to him to " go ahead and cut the brace."
I understand you might be trying to help......but if you are unsure about the advice / suggestion members are looking to get answers too, why don't you step back before you cause a member to have a bad situation.

dylanjs said:
Thoughts? Should I make a unit and leave the brace? Cut the brace and get an all-in-one unit?

Hey D:
Did you click on the links about the Euro Brace?
This will be your best option if the bulb will be in the center....especially a 250w.
Besides the shadow, that plastic will eventually melt.
Just cutting it off is out of the question.

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
108   0   0
DevIous, I did give a quick look. It seems like a lot of work when the tank is full of water and livestock.

Can't I just use two braces made of 1x2's and L-brackets and spray paint them black? It's not attractive, but it might work....

Kedd

25   0   0
NOOOOOOOO!

I have lost a center brace on a much larger tank with very thick glass and I'm lucky to be here now, I was below the tank when it let go and the tank looked tike a basket ball, but did not break.
Flex is an under statement!

Don't do any mods to the tank bite the bullet and buy the correct tank.
Just my thoughts

Kedd

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you can't mod this tank when it's full, and you can not use wood to make bracing. it has to be glass, attached to the glass, or use plexiglass which would be welded to the present bracing.

your choices are, find a light that will work with the bracing.
empty the tank and mod the bracing, or just get a new tank that will
work the way you want it to.
a 24" high tank will NEED bracing.

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Sorry to be dull, but what's the difference between a plexi brace welded to the inside of the black rim and two wood braces with metal reinforcements attached to the outside of the black rim, over the top?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The wood will rot, the plexiglass won't, nor will the current bracing.
The integrity of your tank will be guaranteed if you find a different light fixture that better suits your needs, and sell your current fixture to offset the cost.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
wood + metal + plastic = trouble :screama:

first how would the metal braces be secured to the plastic bracing?
second over time wood expands and contracts, over the tank it would be worse. at some point the screws would loosen then there's the chance of a big mess.

D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So, my next question is: Does anyone know of a lighting unit that has 2 MHs and PCs that is less than 30" long?

I was thinking of building a hood on my own and retrofitting the MHs and PCs into it with 2 fans and electronic ballasts. Any thoughts?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: