Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I have a single drain CPR and a dual drain CPR. I've never had an issue with either. Potacka mentioned that he remembers that the Lifereef is big and I can tell you that both of mine are pretty big as well but the section of the overflow that is in your tank is very slim in comparison to U-tube types which is a nicer touch. The external side is fairly huge.

Most people use them with Aqua Lifters but I also used mine with a Aqua Clear 20 powerhead that has an airline hookup. I place the AC20 up near the top of the water level in the event of a powerfailure so it wouldn't syphon more water than mump could handle. The AC20 kept the top of the overflow purged of air so the syphon would flow as best as possible.

My single overflow was overworked by an oversized Blueline 55 (1100gph pressure rated) and it was loud. My dual overflow was underworked with a Mag18 (maybe pushed 1000gph at 5') and was very quiet.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
@reef fixations: aren't both life reef and CPR u-tube type over flows?

I was almost 100% set on getting a lifereef overflow but a friend mentioned the airline hookup is essential to avoid flooding and I had to go back to the drawing board. People say great things about both products, I was hoping to hear from people that have used BOTH these brands and see which of the two they preferred.

I appreciate your responses though.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
CPR's are usually preferred to get away from a u-tube overflow. If a Lifereef is a standard U-tube than I would assume that the CPR is better. I visited the Lifereef site and it says that it is better than other U-tube overflows and it says that it is better than CPR type overflows that don't use U-tubes.

Too bad I've never had to oppurtunity to use one. I've used almost every other HOB overflow box made.

CPR's syphon tube is part of the construction of the overflow box and cannot be removed. From reading Lifereef's site, it appears that Lifereef would be better because in the event of a poweroutage it will restart. CPR overflows will do the same BUT if the Aqua Lifter Pump should fail or if the AC20 Powerhead should fail than you'll be without a way to keep or restart the syphon.

I'd give Lifereef a try but look up reviews on it to be sure. The less accessories that can fail, the better.

I've had Aqua Lifters go bad but luckily nothing happened. Plus, there are cheap rebuild kits that cost (usually) under $10 for Aqua Lifter Pumps. I've never had an AC20 powerhead fail on me tho but it can always happen.

With Lifereef there is nothing mechanical to fail. So long as it can keep it's U-tube from allowing air to get in, then it seems to be the best way to go.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Thank you so much for the analysis. This is very helpful. I was all set to order a lifereef, then a friend put the bug in my head that the air lifter with the nipple is critical to avoid floods. CPR seemed to be the only brand that had the air valve nipple or whatever you want to call it. My toms aqualifter had to have its diaphram replaced almost immediately as it wasn't working well so you are right about mechanical failures.

CPR's are usually preferred to get away from a u-tube overflow. If a Lifereef is a standard U-tube than I would assume that the CPR is better. I visited the Lifereef site and it says that it is better than other U-tube overflows and it says that it is better than CPR type overflows that don't use U-tubes.

Too bad I've never had to oppurtunity to use one. I've used almost every other HOB overflow box made.

CPR's syphon tube is part of the construction of the overflow box and cannot be removed. From reading Lifereef's site, it appears that Lifereef would be better because in the event of a poweroutage it will restart. CPR overflows will do the same BUT if the Aqua Lifter Pump should fail or if the AC20 Powerhead should fail than you'll be without a way to keep or restart the syphon.

I'd give Lifereef a try but look up reviews on it to be sure. The less accessories that can fail, the better.

I've had Aqua Lifters go bad but luckily nothing happened. Plus, there are cheap rebuild kits that cost (usually) under $10 for Aqua Lifter Pumps. I've never had an AC20 powerhead fail on me tho but it can always happen.

With Lifereef there is nothing mechanical to fail. So long as it can keep it's U-tube from allowing air to get in, then it seems to be the best way to go.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Yes I've finally got the Apex so the next investment is a sump for my red sea max.
Totally in love with aqueon proflex sumps if I don't make my own with a glass tank. Trouble is the RSM cabinet is square and most regular glass aquariums are rectangles. The search continues.

BTW I noticed you're in Hackensack, do you shop at reef encounters?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: