Rating - 100%
2   0   0
okay, well that brings me back to my original question then lol. i looked up the asm and read some of the reviews on that skimmer thread and it sounds good, ill see if i can find a used one under $200 somewhere. what do you think of the coralife super skimmer?

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
use the sump for all your filtration and return.. if you want to set up a fuge we can do a HOB unit for you or if you have the room we can do a small fuge that will use gravity to get some of the flow from the tank and drain to the rerurn pump section of you sump... the fuge thrives on dirty tank water.. and if you dump it into your primary section of your sump the skimmer will pick up all you pods.. they will never make it to the display.. also i would de fun a reactor for carbon and phosban we can to that out of your sump also... let me know if you need help...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
fuge.jpg
fuge.jpg

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Your fuge is gonna be a detritus trap. ideally you would want your fuge to be after the skimmer, and filter sock, as so the larger particles will have already been taken out of the system.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Your fuge is gonna be a detritus trap. ideally you would want your fuge to be after the skimmer, and filter sock, as so the larger particles will have already been taken out of the system.

if you have it in the same tank yes, you would want your skimmer in the first compartment.. if your running 2 seperate tanks like i am you use your filter sock to remove bulky detrius, the fuge will do the rest of the filtration with the macro and live rock..also it will sureve as a neutrient rich zone to let any algea grow there rather than in your DT.. if your skimmer is after it it will pick up your critters and they will never make it to the display... py running parrallel sump/skimmer and fuge and have them both end in the return chamber where thay are pumped back up to the diaplay you will have a better filtered system.

also i would recomend a ballvalve and reduce the flow rate thru the fuge at abt a 60/40 ratio sump/fuge you do want more of your water getting the mechanical filtration for better water qualities, and the other 40% will do its thing in the fuge.. watch your sock on it the it will get dirty very fasy and should be cleaned often!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yeah i had planned on putting in the ball valves to control the flow rate, i think ive got just about all the plumbing stuff figured out. i just need a float to prevent the fuge from over filling.

i saw a few setups where the skimmer was directly connected to the drain from the show tank instead of running into the sump and then being pumped into the skimmer. on a setup like mine would that be advisable? would there be too much or too little water flow?
i have no problem fiddling with flow rates to get it right if i have to.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
yeah i had planned on putting in the ball valves to control the flow rate, i think ive got just about all the plumbing stuff figured out. i just need a float to prevent the fuge from over filling.

i saw a few setups where the skimmer was directly connected to the drain from the show tank instead of running into the sump and then being pumped into the skimmer. on a setup like mine would that be advisable? would there be too much or too little water flow?
i have no problem fiddling with flow rates to get it right if i have to.

I think this method below would be much more efficient and less detritus trappy. i.e. instead of putting the tee on the overflow, put the tee on the pump, so you know all the hard particles are gone and only using 1 filter sock.

Design.jpg

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'll say this one last time... ditch the fuge idea. There's only so much room under a tank (unless you plumb to another room), and you're better off using the space on a good skimmer and reactors.

If you seriously want a heavy SPS tank, you're going to need to consider a chiller, auto top off, skimmer and reactors, along with all the pumps you need to run them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: