• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Our first book will be The Conscientous Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner.:snail: We will try to notify each author as we review their books.

The first thread will be started by me on March 11th and will cover the Foreword and the Intro. Our goal is to discuss each chapter for one week and post the next chapter on the following Sunday Night. We will take turns starting the threads each Sunday night.

As a book club, it seems that we all strive for shared learning and motivation to learn through discussion and accountability to the group.:groupflip

In person meetings to discuss chapters and drink beer should definitely be a part of what we do:cheers:

In true MR fashion, we should all try to use as many smileys as possible in our posts. :flower:

Happy Reading!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
This thread will be to organize an MR book club as per the suggestions of other threads.

Our first decision will be which book to start with.

Perhaps The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3 by Julian Sprung and J. Charles Delbeek may be a nice book to start with.
1883693144.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

it is $72.86 at Amazon.com (free shipping)

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
might as well start with a bang. I've never read that book yet.
But from what it seems, it would be a good book for both beginners and experts alike.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If we want to get people into this, I would suggest a smaller and cheaper book to start. This way we can get people into it and start discussing it sooner. Just my thoughts. BTW... I'm all for 2 separate threads, jhale or another mod, can you clean up the 2 threads to avoid confusion. Thanks.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
These 2 are smaller and cheaper, though I don't know much about them, they may be a quicker way to get started.

Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium (Paperback)
Algae: A Problem Solver Guide (Oceanographic Series)

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
ok, we're also gonna need more than 3 people for our little club :lol:
anyone interested in joining the book club, please post your interest, even if you do not have a particular book suggestion.

now where's oprah?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
talk about hijacking a thread. This is like the Hijack of Hijacks. :lol:
Ok Les, Jon put you in charge :lol2:

hey the bookclub was not your idea :irked: you did not hear me keveching :P

that was erics fault, he told me to move the posts :eek:

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was just trying to avoid confusion... I didn't want you to hijack al's thread, which spawned from my thread which was an offshoot of your idea in kedd's thread by making Leslie the thread starter. So I hope that eliminates some confusion! :knockedou

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I was just trying to avoid confusion... I didn't want you to hijack al's thread, which spawned from my thread which was an offshoot of your idea in kedd's thread by making Leslie the thread starter. So I hope that eliminates some confusion! :knockedou
all this because newbies are giving bad advice
oy vey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: