Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I prefer to check with my LFS first. Part of the appeal is just to see their livestock in person, then add to that the relationships that develop and that's a winning combination for me, especially since with relationships come special deals. I buy online when my LFS does not have what I need. Price is a factor but often I've found that the difference in price between online shops and my LFS is not that huge.

In the age of COVID-19 I still see new people in my LFS.

CMD_2020

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
14   1   1
I only get my equipment online because it's all the same..every lfs owner has a different personality and that reflects in their store and their livestock selections. I deeply feel a large part of the hobby is visiting stores and that charm will never go away.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
If they have it locally, I buy it locally. In times of Corona, I still got locally when it came to my usual needs. (MA have been really easy to work with, providing free delivery)

Of course not going to buy a super shiny coral right now.

Side note: even when I buy online, I make sure to not always order at the same place, but order from BRS and Marine Depot, to avoid getting to a point where one will be a monopoly. (them carrying different products does help)

Last edited:

grisha

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
It’s our obligation to support LFS in the age of corona.
This people will never get rich from foot traffic and are there to make ends meet while provide emergency support and options when we need something ASAP even if the options are limited. We never know when we forgot to order salt, or pump died or my anxious self wanted to test a parameter tonight, not when marine depot sends test kits
Also, fish. I rather order it from lfs, see it eat etc instead of buying tiny specimen from online.
Don’t forget most of us got in to hobby by starting out going in to the store as kids.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well I've always been a fan of the LFS. The one you mentioned first in the article was always the go to place for variety and quality. You often paid a little more for things whether it be livestock or equipment but I always felt it was worth it and felt good to support local business.

Until 2 weeks ago when I visited them to acquire some well needed additions to my clean up crew. I went in with the intention of buying a pretty significant cuc, some dry goods and quite possibly a new fish addition to the tank. I asked for 20 trochus snails and as the kid was plucking them out of a tank...he said they are $10 a piece, citing covid as the reason for the increase. As I laughed in his face...I politely told him he can drop them right back into that tank.

Well after scanning through the tanks I also noticed that most of the fish prices have also inflated quite drastically. Some 30, 40 up to 50% over what prices were just 2 or 3 months ago. Ultimately I left disgusted and bought nothing. I ended up ordering everything I needed online and paid only a few dollars more that I would have pre-covid.

So bottom line...although I was very skeptical about buying livestock online (even with a guarantee) and as much as the going to the store is a fun experience, I'm not gonna bankrupt myself more than I have to just to go surf the tanks in the store. The fish I received were healthy and just as expected and ultimately at a price $45 less. I understand things are different...demand, availability, shipping. All leading to an increase in prices across the board, but this only means that I have to be more diligent in shopping around for what's best for my wallet. And that isn't always gonna be the LFS.

A4edwin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not everybody gets to work at home and still collect their regular paycheck. I’m getting unemployment and it’s nowhere near my regular check so I’m sorry to lfs if I need something my money is going to where ever it is going to cost me the least amount of coin. This hobbie is expensive enough with out a virus.

CMD_2020

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
14   1   1
Nothing will beat the experience in a lfs. The reason prices are high is because it's natural to expect about 30% attrition just due to shipping alone. Also the unique thing that a lfs offers is to be able to cherry pick persay. Ime, pictures are very misleading. If you are like me, you wouldnt mind paying a little extra for either a coral or fish that's just the right size and color. Or paying an arm and leg for that perfect must have item!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: