• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Since someone else other than ricky(whom I don't want to answer twice, hehe) have asked, I will post what I experienced with red LEDs.

Red LEDs do pop the red color more however there are catches:
1)the ratio of the red must not be too high as red is very "POPing" to our eyes and thus a little of it will bleed the rest of the colors. If you have pass by my table last swap, the ratio of red over blue in my light was too high and thus fluorecence color of the coral that respond to blue faded.
2)for e.g. the orange pink dendro under a small amount of red LED will show up as RED in color.
3)8 out of 10 people surveyed like SW fish with some red.
4)Excuse me in adavance that I cannot go further into the reason why I am make the following statement. Contrary to most beliefs, "A reef light is not complete without red."

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RED spectrum

Since someone else other than ricky(whom I don't want to answer twice, hehe) have asked, I will post what I experienced with red LEDs.

1)the ratio of the red must not be too high as red is very "POPing" to our eyes and thus a little of it will bleed the rest of the colors. If you have pass by my table last swap, the ratio of red over blue in my light was too high and thus fluorecence color of the coral that respond to blue faded.
2)for e.g. the orange pink dendro under a small amount of red LED will show up as RED in color.
4)Excuse me in adavance that I cannot go further into the reason why I am make the following statement. Contrary to most beliefs, "A reef light is not complete without red."

Although, RED spectum is visually appealing. I read that the RED spectrum is likely to promote nuasance algaes. Has that been your experience?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pecan,

The Solaris uses 4 PWM outputs to control the banks of LED's. The configuration allows lunar blue for night lights by controlling 3 PWM's off and the 1 PWM to the drivers for the lunar blue. Thus, intensity and control are available. Does the software for the PACSUN unit have varying starting cycles based on lunar cycles? Don't really know whether that's just a Solaris gimmick or whether it's important for the corals. Has the group been able to measure PAR and emulate the paper written by Dana Riddle for quantified data?

afgun

Starting over
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting counterpoint to your view on red can be found in this AA article http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/12/aafeature1...

That said, the internet is full of opinions, and this is just one of them.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Pecan, did you order the MaxSpect yet? :biglaugh:

I need to know if this is any good. Need something to replace the 70W MH setup I have, it don't work no more :supermad:.. the 60W model @$170 sounds like a good replacement for the yet to be frag tank under the cube.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i'll stick with my 6 bulb t5. led price is just not worth it, as for watts, not that much of a difference.

Just out of curiosity, what part isn't worth it? How exactly are you measuring watt differences? Your 6 bulb T5's cost $125 every 6-8 months to replace. Thats $500 almost every 2 years.

Plus 6 54W bulbs = 324W. How is that no difference between 180W? Your saving 144W running 10hrs a day. Again for the price of bulb replacements and electric savings AND the initial cost of your other fixture, you would save the cost of the LED fixture in 2-3 years. AFter that, you are actually MAKING money from savings every year.

HanKami

Mentalism
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
say i bought 2 pacific suns @ 119 led thats 238 watts to 324 watts. fine you won on watts. how much for a fixture to run a 48" 120 gallon tank. i figured it about 4 years of my t5's, by then something new might be out, and leds will be cheap, and we both end up even... lol

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Mark,
The PacSun utilizes one center strip (4 blue & 3 white LEDs) for the lunar light cycle. The software allows you to pick any calender day as the full moon date and from there it cycles the intensity of the moon light. You can also control the maximum intensity of the moon light strip.
What it lacks compared to the Solaris units is the moon rise & moon set feature.

Cali,
The MaxSpect units are not controllable in terms of sunrise/sunset correct?

Nyeyce,
I mentioned it in the beginning of the thread that the biggest bang is when the switch over is from MH & supplements to LEDs. In my 180g, I actually am running more watts then my previous over driven 6 x 80w T5 retro setup.

Last edited:

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
say i bought 2 pacific suns @ 119 led thats 238 watts to 324 watts. fine you won on watts. how much for a fixture to run a 48" 120 gallon tank. i figured it about 4 years of my t5's, by then something new might be out, and leds will be cheap, and we both end up even... lol

Its true that you can always get burned because new innovations come out. My measure is purely based on now much money will be spent operating each unit over a period of 5-7 years. You can operate the Pacific Sun units with no additional cost to your initial investment (of course the electric is needed). But a T5 unit will not only use 30% more electricity, you have to factor how many times you have to replace bulbs. Thats why we say after 2-3 years, you will be making money from the switch over. Don't forget, if you switch over, you also can sell your T5 unit to recoup a good amount of the cost for the Pacsuns.

But don't forget, not only are you getting the savings but you are getting a much better and more fun to use light! Your tank will never look the same under these actinics. They blow away any T5 actinic hands down. If you ask anyone running these lights, they will tell you that T5 users will drop their jaw when they see the blues on these units.

One last factor is even with T5's, some users need to run a chiller in the summertime or really play with the room temp to avoid running too hot. I know this because I was a Nova Extreme Pro user and the water heated up just like MH. These units will allow your tank to run at whatever you set your room temp. at. Remember, the key to coral health and success is stability of water parameters. The constant 24 hour temp. stability is a huge factor in long term health as well as the simulated natural light cycles in nature.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: