• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
perice the ehiem i tested on the ap702 drawed in 15lpm while the aquabee was drawing in 10lpm steady. 38watts is only when it's fully pumping water. On my OR2700 it was using 27watts with 10LPM. 2eheim vs 3 aquabees almost around the same range of air intake. DAS lately we have been getting are the rejects IMO. DAS probably stop producing these things and this is whatever left over stock LOL.

steve's older BX3 came with cell cast acrylic and the craftmenship is great.
cali_reef said:
Dave,

First, I don't think the DAS 2000/1 pumps are pulling that kind of air you are talking about, I bought some air gages and would hook them up if the damn thing is ready to run. The pump draws much less wattage than spec, that tells me the pin wheel is too light for the magnet\coil, which would mean slowing down when water and air are being sucked it.

Two. The craftsmanship sucks, remember the picture of the first DAS I got? I don't think the people putting them together in Texas have a brain, let along any skill.

Three. they use extruded acrylic for the body which is way too fragile for our use. They also use the un-finish side of black ABS as the collection cup cover top side, and the nicer finish is never seen, what a stupid thing to do.

If I want a poorly glued skimmer body I would just get another Chinese made BK copy for $300, not $800 for a supposedly great skimmer and deal with a vendor\manufacture that have poor service. For another $330 (retail price on Deltec) you can get a AP851 and be happy with it.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
spykes said:
perice the ehiem i tested on the ap702 drawed in 15lpm while the aquabee was drawing in 10lpm steady.

I need to test this for my self but its hard for me to believe that after seeing Warren's AP600 and my own AP701. But in any case how do you know the DAS pump is identical as the Aquabees? I have never put the two side by side but I know even H&S sells the Aquabee for a lot more than the DAS pump.

spykes said:
2eheim vs 3 aquabees almost around the same range of air intake.
No way!! I will test that for my self. In any case the AP702(the smallest model with two Eheims) has a 10" body and the EX-3 is a 8" body, no way they perform the same.

spykes said:
DAS lately we have been getting are the rejects IMO. DAS probably stop producing these things and this is whatever left over stock LOL.

I didn't get that impression from the few conversations I had with the two brothers that either owns or managed the stores. They told me they wanted to have the tilted skimmer to show their shop manager how mess up they did and I know they are still building store fixtures for other LFS. I will ask them if they ever call back :biggrin:.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
cali you should have taken that spare part from me, I can't find it now.

my DAS is doing great,
scum.jpg

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
regal said:
For me, I'll need a AP702 for my 500g system. Where do people get their deltec from in NY?

regal,
I don't think the AP702 would even be sufficient for your system of 500g. You need to move up to an AP902 or AP703 if height is a concern.

I run an AP702 on 220g of volume and I don't think it's overskimming.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
cali_reef said:
I need to test this for my self but its hard for me to believe that after seeing Warren's AP600 and my own AP701. But in any case how do you know the DAS pump is identical as the Aquabees? I have never put the two side by side but I know even H&S sells the Aquabee for a lot more than the DAS pump.

No way!! I will test that for my self. In any case the AP702(the smallest model with two Eheims) has a 10" body and the EX-3 is a 8" body, no way they perform the same.

I didn't get that impression from the few conversations I had with the two brothers that either owns or managed the stores. They told me they wanted to have the tilted skimmer to show their shop manager how mess up they did and I know they are still building store fixtures for other LFS. I will ask them if they ever call back :biggrin:.

i guess your right on the skimmer body size but the ap600 with aquabee 2000 is very diffrent from apf600 which has 2000/1. 2000/1 has more head ft pressure. the impeller spins faster i guess. I have no idea how they run the store but who builds tilted skimmers. I mean they made how many good ones again? i dont think petorama builds them but you may be right. Im just listening to a bunch of friends.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
cali_reef said:
Jon, What ever happen to the Elos skimmer you were trying?

I liked the skimmer but could not dial it in to stay steady. I had problems with salt choking the venturi so the air flow would get resticted or stop. I ended up sending the skimmer to joe tubs in new hampshire he is now selling the elos products in his new store.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jhale said:
I liked the skimmer but could not dial it in to stay steady. I had problems with salt choking the venturi so the air flow would get resticted or stop. I ended up sending the skimmer to joe tubs in new hampshire he is now selling the elos products in his new store.

Good timing, Joe just PM me today:). Did yo know he now works in\runs a store that is rated the best LFS by the Boston reef club?

I am thinking about ordering a custom tank from elos without seeing one in person, I hope I am not going down the same path as my DAS experiance.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've not seen the tanks but I've seen the lighting fixture, a CA reactor,and the skimmer, I've never seen any equipment as well made as thier stuff is.

Also you can't compare the DAS service to the ELOS service.
ELOS will take care of any problem right away.
The owner of the company fed-ex-ed me parts from Italy himself.
And Jesse will always be here to take of you ;)

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
cali do you know the name of the store. boston is about a 3 or 4 hr trip. me and the wife was thinking of going to boston to do some whale watching. it would cool to stop by and look around the store.

Jonathan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this past weekend i finally got to get my DAS EX-1 going. I added a gate valve to the outlet right above the union.

I was pretty impressed after just turning it on. It had a foam head after just about an hour. It was very loud for the first 5-10mins, but then the pump quieted down to a normal operating level. It is now quiet (not silent) and operating at the same noise level of every other NW skimmmer I've had (H&S, ASM, CSS), but my girlfriend isnt happy. We live in a loft style apartment in washington, so there's not as much seperation between the living room and the bed room as a normal house/apartment, plus the high ceilings carry sounds very well. So the venturi is slightly audible from our bedroom because the back of the stand that is open is pointing towards our bedroom/hallway. I am hoping after a couple weeks it willl quiet down even more, or else I will be blowing my load on a BK 160 if I want to be allowed to keep the tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: