• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
The number system was fine.

Maybe adding more staff to move the line along would help BUT I give a huge applause to you guys ITS BLACK FRIDAY!!!!!! Black Friday is always insane.

What slowed down the line significantly was customers buying in bulk which is fine bc the point is to sell, your prices are so low always that you can make it up to some of us next week or the week after or the week after or the week after or the week after.

My wife was talking to your partners wife over at cash register and she was speaking wonders of you guys, how late you guys worked to order, pickup, acclimate, reprice and so on.

Like I said, It's black Friday, stop the criticizing and just go next week and Max Reef Aqua will make it up to you.
I thing it was fine too! Its just not easy when there is 50 people and buying 150 items in same time!

Alfredo De La Fe

I was number 76 and there were still MANY high end fish available. They had some INCREDIBLE Majestic Angels, Sailfin tangs, sohal tangs, a large blonde naso and several smaller ones and just about every type of tang you can imagine.

I was even able to find scarlet hermit crabs at $1.50 each...

The only problem I saw was that they did not make it clear that there was a number system when people walked in and that they did not follow it properly. But they have made it clear that they will be addressing this for the next time.

One of the guys there also said that this is pretty close to how it gets on weekends as far as it being busy. If that is the case, guess I will be going on weekdays!

Alfred

Based on the selection of fish that you have in your pictures you like super high end fish, today was prob not your day, all super high end fish were purchased by 2 ppl. One person spent $1800 and the other over $2k (stores).

What I have learned from Maximum Reef Aquatics Management is that they will help you make this hobby affordable and their quality is fine, way above any ground level home shop, real store, real management and insane prices and they work with you, each and every single time.

i went and got there at 940 they let me straight in i was number 3 and my boy number 4 we both bought out all the blood and cleaner shrimps but there werent many lol bought so much stuff for only 261 but when i think that i spent like 640 at the swap i need to slow down lol

Alfredo De La Fe

They must have gotten the blood shrimp in today? I did not see any in the tank marked blood shrimp yesterday...

This place is definitely going on my "visit regularly" list... No more going to New Jersey except for fresh water (there is an AMAZING planted tank place in Ridgewood, but they are very small)

Alfred

i went and got there at 940 they let me straight in i was number 3 and my boy number 4 we both bought out all the blood and cleaner shrimps but there werent many lol bought so much stuff for only 261 but when i think that i spent like 640 at the swap i need to slow down lol

Alfredo De La Fe

After this black Friday sale, I suspect a lot of other stores in New York and New Jersey (particularly the NJ stores) are going to be hurting... There is a big difference in quality, they must be acclimating the fish very carefully.

Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

BTW: I wrote "particularly New Jersey" because if you go to stores in NJ, chances are you drive or get a ride. The NYC stores won't take such a big hit because most people going to them take public transportation. No public transportation to MRA in Yonkers that I know of!

Hey, now there is an idea- have a "shuttle service" from Manhattan to MRA on Saturdays. LOL

Alfred

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
That is a dumb statement that NJ stores will be hurting. Do you think the people that live in NJ don't have tanks? Most people in NJ are not going to drive over an hour and pay 20-30 dollars in tolls plus gas money an a consistent basis. That defeats the purpose of saving money in the first place. Yes I would assume plenty of NJ reefers will check out this shop, but I don't see many of them making it a regular stop, especially when you need salt or other dry goods.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
No local stores are going to be hurting. For every person that leaves this hobby there is 5 jumping into it.

Maximum Reef Aquatics is killing the competition but not everyone knows about them.

There will always be the poor soul that pays $329.00 for an Emperator Angel Fish when I paid $40.00.

The poor soul that will pay $49.99 for a purple fire fish when I paid $10.

etc
etc
etc

We know about Maximum Reef Aquatics but there is a much larger number of ppl that have no clue what Manhattan Reefs is nor MRA.

Frankly speaking, I hope MRA continous to grow, triples its location size within 5 years and continues to make this hobby affordable and maybe even become a wholesale distributor to all local pet stores that do not want to be importing $5k in fish every week.

Every time I go I spend over $200 and get my money's worth, paying the toll is well worth it for me.

I take my son on Pet Store tours frequently and I cannot bear to nor can afford to shop at most NJ/NY pet stores. I cannot afford to pay $80 for a copperband butterfly, I cannot afford to pay $35 for a cleaner shrimp, I cannot afford to pay $70 for a nickel sized yellow belly hippo.

Most established stores will be fine, they have their loyal customer base and plenty of potential newbies interested in the hobby.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
I have never seen a Copperbands for more than 50 and that is a larger one, as for the emperor angel, 329 better get you an orange tail adult at least 8"s. but for me to go and travel over an hour to a store is quite common, most of the time it is just to check out what they have. I called mra yesterday and I have to call today to talk to Ivan, but so far it seems they just carry the normal variety of fish. I can buy that stuff around me for cheaper when you include tolls and gas

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: