FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I have live rock in a brute container in my garage with power head and NO heater for 1.5 years. Because i never knew if id start back up again i didnt bother heating the brute.

I am now starting backup. The salinity was at 1.030 after 1.5years of water circulation with lid on. I now added a heater. Because i didnt know if beneficial bacteria survived the freezing cold and hot summer days in my garage, i dosed with bacteria in a bottle.

The reason why i shutdown my tank 1.5 years ago was due to uronema. I asssumed the rock would be clear of uronema now after being fallow with no detritus and extreme temperatures from unheated and uncooled garage.

But i figure i would ask here just to be safe. Better safe than sorry. Do you think uronema can survive this long under these conditions?

If so what should i do? Dump chlorine in brute, dry rock then start over?

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Unfortunately it possible could survive. I would either start over with new rock or bleach and dry out the old LR to kill it. In the end, it's not worth the chance.
Thank you. Here is silly question. The tank i used 1.5 years ago has been dry since. There was some salt creep in it. But everything has since dried. I did not disenfect this tank. I simply added ro/di. Then salt. Then added new rocks and bacteria in a bottle. Was this tank safe to use?

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I did. I bleached it. I was told not to use clorox because they all have something in them now a days. So i followed advice and went to dollar tree. Bought regular bleach. There were 2. One was scented. The other “regular”. After i poured the bottle in i smelled the empty bottle and it didnt smell like chlorine at all. Its smelled like a fresh scent!

I hope i didnt ruin those rocks. I will rinse it over and over.

I wonder if i could of just used the pool shock i have so much of. I just dont know how many teaspoons would be enough that stuff is super concentrated. A teaspoon may be too much.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: