lionfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
im building myself a custom sump and was wondering if anyone has any ideas i can add to my sump for my 90 gallon im using a 30g long for the project .here it is feel free to comment and add anything .not the best artist but check it out

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 212

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I personally do not like adding the fuge in the center chamber. Don't put carbon, or filter between your baffles you will cut flow going thru it. you would not need a filter pad if you are using socks. I would personally run carbon or any media in a reactor, make a manifold for your pump and feed them. I know the drawing is not to scale but the first baffle has to determine your running water height for your skimmer, put 1-1 1/2" space between your baffles. if you are going to use this set up the 3rd baffle should be half the size of your 1 st baffle this way when water comes out from your skimmer area the water actually tumbles in the fuge area. 4th baffle should be 1" lower then your first so you do not get a waterfall effect creating bubbles. If I confused you just ask.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i agree abt the filkter media, and using a reactor,personally, i just dont like using a manifold off my return pump for 2 reasons, first in your fuge you are cultivating pods that will eventually get pumped up into your tank, if you run a maniflod off your return to your reactors or to a UV you will kill them. second,i like to do all my main filtering in my first chamber with a manifold to my mechanical systems, this way its clean going into the fuge and whatever is left over will get filterd by the living organisms. some people like dirty water going to the fuge section bc it feeds the living organisms.. for me thats where i add my phyto/oyster feast to suply a food source. and then your 3 chamber is your retun chamber where i have my pump and ATO.. but thats just how i do it..

lionfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I personally do not like adding the fuge in the center chamber. Don't put carbon, or filter between your baffles you will cut flow going thru it. you would not need a filter pad if you are using socks. I would personally run carbon or any media in a reactor, make a manifold for your pump and feed them. I know the drawing is not to scale but the first baffle has to determine your running water height for your skimmer, put 1-1 1/2" space between your baffles. if you are going to use this set up the 3rd baffle should be half the size of your 1 st baffle this way when water comes out from your skimmer area the water actually tumbles in the fuge area. 4th baffle should be 1" lower then your first so you do not get a waterfall effect creating bubbles. If I confused you just ask.
okay i kind of understand what you are saying let me tell you my measurements the first baffle will be 8 1/2 then the bubble trap the 3rd piece will be 8" then the last one i had at 12 inches which goes into the return pump

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
you cant make the baffles 3 and 4 largers then your first. the first determines the height of your running level. is your skimmers running water level 8 1/2 inches?

if so i would make
baffle 1 8.5"
baffle 2 1" of the bottom and taller then baffle 1
baffle 3 5"
bafffle 4 7.5"

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
motortrendz quick question, if a manifold is built say using 1" pvc and you have say 3 t's of it
1=1" main return
2=.25" fedding carbon reactor
3=.25" fedding phosban reactor
and say you are running a mag 12
is it still possible to destroy living matter when only .25 percent of the water flow is thru the manifold for the reactors. wouldn't .75 percent of the water go to the largest diameter?

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Like said previously the buble trap walls have to have the same distance between them to operate properly. Also depending on how strong your return pump will be you will have no control of the flow through that refugium. Strong return pump = equals major flow through the fuge. Use reactors for your filter media. Much more efficient. Last filter socks suck when used everyday. Using one for a day or so just to catch stuff floating around the tank is cool but to be left in all day, everyday is a pain in the ass. The clog very fast. Check out my build thread below..

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
make your skimmer section about 2" greater then your skimmer, the return area depends on what type of pump you are going to be using, I usually like this area to be at least 8" wide, and the rest for your fuge. This is another reason why I like my fuge separate, you could have a higher baffle to increase water volume, rather then only 8.5" in your case.

CONSTANTNE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dont know the dimensions of a 30 long but I like the design of my sump. I run carbon in a mesh bag between the baffles. I edited your picture to give you an idea and have a pic of my sump too. Zero bubbles through return but keep in mind my pump is not strong (317gph) and skimmer produces zero microbubbles.

Attachments

• Sump edit.jpg
    Sump edit.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Sump.JPG
    Sump.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 70

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
motortrendz quick question, if a manifold is built say using 1" pvc and you have say 3 t's of it
1=1" main return
2=.25" fedding carbon reactor
3=.25" fedding phosban reactor
and say you are running a mag 12
is it still possible to destroy living matter when only .25 percent of the water flow is thru the manifold for the reactors. wouldn't .75 percent of the water go to the largest diameter?

where does your outputs for the reactors go? back into which chamber? yes you will be loosing some and some will be making it to the display.. i dont think you can really say its a 75/25 bc the reactors go back into the sump and recirculate.. so the loss of vital microbes is probably a little higher.. thats y my return only goes to the tank, and i use a seperate pump for my mechanicals, in my first compartment. making sure to scrub the water there.. and whatever makes it from the fuge to the 3rd chamber will get pumped out.. again thats just my thinking anf im not saying your way is wrong.. i just do it differently..

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Like said previously the buble trap walls have to have the same distance between them to operate properly. Also depending on how strong your return pump will be you will have no control of the flow through that refugium. Strong return pump = equals major flow through the fuge. Use reactors for your filter media. Much more efficient. Last filter socks suck when used everyday. Using one for a day or so just to catch stuff floating around the tank is cool but to be left in all day, everyday is a pain in the ass. The clog very fast. Check out my build thread below..

i run a sock 24/7... never had any issues with clogging, i use a single sock with a dual drain... its abt 6in in diameter.. and i rinse it abt once every other week..but again it al depends on your bioload of your system, and the waste that is produced..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: