pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm still itching for a Sol for my Solana. I think the Nano maybe slightly underpowered for a Solana which has a display area of about 20x15x20. Price difference isn't huge assuming the Nano will still need a controller. Without a controller Sol is $530, Nano about $350.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I'm still itching for a Sol for my Solana. I think the Nano maybe slightly underpowered for a Solana which has a display area of about 20x15x20. Price difference isn't huge assuming the Nano will still need a controller. Without a controller Sol is $530, Nano about $350.

If you have a third party controller ( profilux ) you can save the approx. $ 75. for the controller.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
The controller is also not necessary for the Nano (it has the built in touch screen features).. where as some sort of controller is necessary for the "regular" Sol Blue.

Nothing against the 'normal' sized fixture at all.. it would just be too much (light and money) for my application.

armani4o3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I seen the 72" sol model on sat. It was sick the corals really pop. The guy had it at 40% blue n white and looked so bright over a 125. It is a sick light but don't know if it's worth $3299

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The controller is also not necessary for the Nano (it has the built in touch screen features).. where as some sort of controller is necessary for the "regular" Sol Blue.

Nothing against the 'normal' sized fixture at all.. it would just be too much (light and money) for my application.

Does the Nano have built in settable timers?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
No, The controls on the light allow for manual control. This would likely work with a $10 timer so when it goes on it will use a preset intensity for the 3 colors.

I think you're right here.

You can use the AI Controller if you want to purchase it separately (I think it's $70 or so) ... or you can attach the light to a third party controller (Reef Keeper/Apex/Profilux/etc).

I'm going to hook it up to my Reef Keeper Lite for the timer function and use the touch controls for intensity.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Is there a module for the RKL to control the intensity of the light for different time periods or do you have to get the AI controller or Reefkeeper Elite to do that? In other words 70% blue 30% white at startup then 50/50 for a few hours and then back down to 70/30 as an example. Sorry for the neophyte question on this. I'm not up on the led technology.

Looking forward to the ai nano though.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Digital Aquatics has a module for the RKE, I'm not sure if it's compatible with the lite. The ALC module is only capable 3 or 4 Kelvin options, some timers or ramp up/down features at the moment, they are working on the firmware to make it as flexible as the AI controller. I have the RKE but control my AI Sol Blues with their (AI) controller.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Nice. I am strongly considering a 60 cube (24inch). The nano would be too small, but I think a Sol would be perfect.

Still considering Halides and T5's though..:banghead:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
you're right about that. I could get a used MH/T5 fixture, and that would offset the price difference a bit. The only issue is, I'm not sure if 1 unit will be sufficient, as I want to have some high light loving creatures, like a haddoni anemone.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
you're right about that. I could get a used MH/T5 fixture, and that would offset the price difference a bit. The only issue is, I'm not sure if 1 unit will be sufficient, as I want to have some high light loving creatures, like a haddoni anemone.

In this case, go with the Sol as per their technical support. The nano is ok but the sol is more for sps. Still the cost is good enough when you consider energy and bulb replacement.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: