TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I need some serious help. My clownfishes had the ich. I raised the temp to above 80. Now that the ich seems to be gone they have Brooklynella Hostilis. I went to 2 LFS and couldnt find Formalin. The stores said they do not make that anymore. Fishtown was close by the time I got there. I attached a pic of it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20130106_183444.jpg
    20130106_183444.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 278

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
also i read raising the temp doesn't work on marine ICH. only on freshwater...someone can add on?

That is correct. The point of raising the temp is it is said to speed up the life cycle of the Ich parasite (in Freshwater ich cases), but that is a different parasite than we deal with in marine ich cases.

Raising the temp of the water in SW Ich cases is not helpful as the SW Ish parasite has a much longer life cycle and the warmer water does not appreciably reduce the cycle enough to help us fight the parasite.

TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
The guy is not eating. You put the garlic drops in the DT or you QT'ed it? My temp is way too high right now. It's at like 86 degrees. Going to do about 10% water change and bring the temp back down to 80 hopefully.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Sorry for your loss... I was reading this thread last night and had a feeling this would be the outcome, brook hits hard and extremely fast. I had a battle with it a few years back and lost a few pairs of clowns, the only way I was able to rid the tank of brooklynela was to go clownfish free for 6-8 weeks. Again sorry for your loss.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Sorry for the loss, you should work the rest of the fish and tank. If executed poorly, it will be a long battle.

Do read up the article Kathy C hs provide plus this one:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/a/aabrooklynella.htm

Oh, since your clown is big, I assume there are long time inhabitants in your tank, so there must some new stuff you added that introduce the disease. Therefore, at least one more fish must have it. Treat ALL fish, not just ones that show symptoms. By the time you see symptoms, 99% it's too late.

Last edited:

TopCat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
He was a new addition to the tank. I now have 4 clowns left in it. I just bought a 25w UV Sterilizer and hope to hook it up within the next couple days. This weekend at the latest.

Two new clowns both had ich. When the ich went away, the slime followed on the big one. The other one seems to be ok but i have yet to see him eat so i need to hook up the UV soon. I'll go buy the copper and get the 10 gallon to be ready just in case I see anything.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
It seems to me the other fish already got infected from your own statements earlier, why not take them out to treat now????? If your schedule really does not allow you to buy medication, then do hypo. About.com also has a good write up in how to do it.

When a clownfish does not eat, it is a VERY BAD SIGN already!

NOTE: DO NOT run hypo and copper together.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: