jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
After taking down my edge a few weeks ago, I decided to post some pics of this build still in progress while my livestock is still sitting temporarily in the 5g sump for this build.
I'm just too lazy getting at this build and just doing it slowly so the wife wont complain of me spending too much time for a tank.:redface:

Hardware:
Tank - Mr. Aqua 12gallon long rimless tank
eshoppes PF nano overflow
5.5g Sump
Rio+ 1200 return pump
Aquaticlife nano skimmer
36"-48" Beamswork Reefbright LED
Vortech mp10 wes
Reefkeeper light w/ 2 PC4, SL2, ATO kit

Here is what came in maybe a month ago..
P1110355.jpg

A really great packing job from petstore.com. This was filled to the brim with packing nuts. I just had it removed and I filled 3 trash bags full of them.
What's left is the bubble wrap. It really took me quite a time unpacking this one.
P1110356.jpg

Here it is out of the box and some other shots too.:)
P1110358.jpg

P1110359.jpg

Here it is with the eshoppes PF nano overflow
P1110363.jpg

This is it for now and will be putting up more pics in later.

Last edited:

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks edge.
I'm trying out the beamswork reefbrite from aquatraders and see if this light has potential for shallow tanks.

Here is a pic of the 5.5g sump I made.
3 sections for the return pump, fuge and skimmer.
P1110381.jpg

Light came in
P1110619.jpg

P1110622.jpg

Here it is over the tank.
Some test shots
White and blues
P1110635.jpg

P1110633.jpg

This is more or less the actual look of the lights.
P1110715.jpg

Blues
P1110640.jpg

I was surprised that the light is pretty bright too. I wasn't expecting too much but they came out pretty bright.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey Jeff! Subscribed of course...the build looks great...still say you should drill that bad boy...that tank is beautiful...looks like we're moving at the same pace with the builds...S-L-O-W...lol...lmk if you need any help...I found a steal on a iv thingy for 2 part dosing...will you be dosing?

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Sweet tank! Looking forward to see it's progress.
Thanks.

Looking good! Those lights look awesome on the tank.
I like the slim fixture as it somewhat complements the rimless.
Will see soon if it really is reef capable.

NIce set up. So i guess you whent with the hang on overflow.
Hey D yep i went with the overflow. A little nervous on drilling and since I had the overflow already, i might as well use it.

NIce set up
Thanks.

Hey Jeff! Subscribed of course...the build looks great...still say you should drill that bad boy...that tank is beautiful...looks like we're moving at the same pace with the builds...S-L-O-W...lol...lmk if you need any help...I found a steal on a iv thingy for 2 part dosing...will you be dosing?
This build really is slow but somehow I need to work at a faster pace as the temporary holding tank is not too good for the corals. Some are not doing too well.:sick:
I'll be dosing 2 part too. I got the RKL to automate the process. I'm thinking of getting better dosing pumps or just do the poor man's dosers using aqualifter pumps which I have laying around.

look great bro lmk when that thing is fill i got u on a macro pack to get that thing going
Thanks. I haven't used the return tube I picked up from you as it looks too huge in the tank. I'm still figuring a way to make a nice compact return tube for this tank.

What a cool build!! I'd be cautious though, 12g might be a bit small for Darth Maul.....
Lol.. He'll be moving in another tank. He's not good for whatever livestock I put in there.:D

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well we both just have to get it in gear then...lol...I'd hold coral for you, except that I'm already fully loaded, even had to use 3g pico as a frag tank and have an rbta in Tianna's 5.5 which has be nervous being in there as it's not ideal. Hey I say if you have the aqualifters already use what you have on hand until you decide which option makes you happiest. So have you decided on what you're going to do for the return? Drilling was extremely easy...I set tank in the bathtub and had the python held over hole template and went for it. Took all of 10-15 minutes total for both drain and return. I was nervous too, and then woke up one morning and felt ballsy and said "I'm doing this sh*t and succeeding" lol I just don't trust those overflow boxes. Good luck to my oldest hobbiest buddy!

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I think I'm sticking with the overflow. Can't spend anymore for this build as I have reached my budget limit. But thinking about it a drilled overflow and return will really streamline the look more. Arrggghh. that will be another week delay for sure.

Anyway I've been tying some rockscape with the live rock dubs gave me last night (Thanks again dubs!)
Here is a shot of the scape I made from them.
P1110931.jpg

And then I realized I still have the live rock with attached corals in my temporary holding tank so its back to the drawing board to make all fit together.
Into the bucket they go again and will probably try again another time.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My vote is to stack your fav pieces of old rock on top of center rock and keep current scape with extra rock going into your sump...b/c your old rock was more elongated v.s. high and so it might work nicely...and drill it! Lol what's 1 more week to achieve visual perfection? You've already waited this long.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I like the look man!... Dont use anymore rock then that. It looks nice and clean. If anything replace them with the rocks with corals. Whateveris left keep it in the sump for now.

bunch of little islands... Nice work.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I'm already thinking of how to fit that tank in the tub.
Just thinking of removing sand and rocks, waiting for bulkheads and loc fittings makes me want to stick with the overflow.
Darn it I just can't get anymore lazy with this build.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Lol..it looks like you have your work cut out for you..you know members here love perfection so I would go with drilling too.. :)
Scape looks nice so far..u have a ton of nice corals so replacing some of the rocks with the corals is a great idea..

Ole Pukey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Tank coming along nicely. Im having issues with my mp10 kicking up sand- had to dial it down and add another pump on the opposite end. I went with fine sand don't make the same mistake.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: